TN visa at POE and Border Closure US and Canada

Nimc2002

Hi There,
I have a job offer in hand. They are still doing background check then will send me TN papers.

With all developments going on......I want to know.....if we as Canadian can still go get TN visa.
Canadian and US border has limited travel as of today or Thursday tomorrow for all shoppers/ and tourism except only goods will travel between borders.

Has anyone experienced a delay or they easily got TN today?

If we can't get TN in person can we get in mail or any other option?

Last edited:
I'm on the same boat...let's wait to see the details of the border closure and whether TN is excluded from the list. Your company can always file with USCIS although it takes more time and creates complications.

Got news Canada and USA is closing border.
Non-essential travel is closed.
If you are looking for jobs in USA then don't anymore.

If you are looking for jobs in USA then don't anymore.
In technology there is still lots of hiring going on. Could be the same in other industries.

Anything where remote work is accepted, go ahead and keep looking.

Or even go through the interview process so you're ready to apply when borders re-open.

Hi Grant2 you are the only positive person giving hope to people here.

By saying interview now go when border opens is the best way to put it.

By saying interview now go when border opens is the best way to put it.
My understanding is that POEs are only closed to tourism visits. Canadians & Mexicans entering for work are permitted.

I believe that POEs will process TN applications as they always have.

Actually getting a job offer certainly will be harder, but if someone gives up job hunting just because it's hard, they don't want the job that bad anyways.

Hello Folks,
New Question.
My TN1 visa was valid until sept 2021.
This year I had a short trip to Canada, while coming back to USA CBP has taken away my TN1 and put Cancelled at the stamped on my Passport, they did not give any reason. They asked me to go to USA embassy in Toronto. I had an appointment in US embassy in end March at Toronto, CA since the COVID-19 they have cancelled all the appointments and the Embassy is closed until further notion. I am stuck in Canada and My Family is still in USA. The CBP Officer said your family visa is good until sept 2021 but you have to get your visa from US embassy again and do not come to the border. Now I am waiting for the embassy to reopen and give me the new date and time for appointment.
Please advise can I go to the border as a normal TN1 Applicant..? or after how many months I can go back to the border as a normal TN1 Process..?
Has any one know about it, since embassy takes lot of time and at the border it is one day job..?
Please advise.
Appreciate your help.
Ashraf.

Hello Folks,
New Question.
My TN1 visa was valid until sept 2021.
This year I had a short trip to Canada, while coming back to USA CBP has taken away my TN1 and put Cancelled at the stamped on my Passport, they did not give any reason. They asked me to go to USA embassy in Toronto. I had an appointment in US embassy in end March at Toronto, CA since the COVID-19 they have cancelled all the appointments and the Embassy is closed until further notion. I am stuck in Canada and My Family is still in USA. The CBP Officer said your family visa is good until sept 2021 but you have to get your visa from US embassy again and do not come to the border. Now I am waiting for the embassy to reopen and give me the new date and time for appointment.
Please advise can I go to the border as a normal TN1 Applicant..? or after how many months I can go back to the border as a normal TN1 Process..?
Has any one know about it, since embassy takes lot of time and at the border it is one day job..?
Please advise.
Appreciate your help.
Ashraf.
1. Are you Canadian or Mexican?
2. What status is your family? TD status? You need valid TN for your family to have valid TD.
3. Why did they cancel your TN status? They don't cancel for no reason. How did the conversation at the Border go? Usually they just ask a few questions, who do you work for, what do you do, etc. There must have been something in that conversation that caused them to cancel your TN.
4. Are you wanting to obtain a new TN with a new employer or try and obtain a new TN with same employer?
5. What is your employer doing to help you? Have they not provided legal assistance?

1. Canadian Citizen.
2. My Family has TD Status and it is valid their I94 shows on the website. He said your family is good until the last date on you TN but you have to go to USA embassy and get a new TN status.
3. I am involve in Muslims Mosques and fund collections that is the question he was asking all the time. our building for community center is very and we are collecting funds to build new Facility.
4. Yes, I have same employer for last15 years, they have issued me a new emp letter for another 3 years of extension.
5. No they do not provide any legal assistance.
My case is in the US embassy at Toronto. I had the appointment for 24 March but due to the Covid-19 all are shutdown and I am holding on for the further notice... :(
Does any on know in this scenario can I go to the different border an apply for a fresh TN1....? What is the policy how long I should wait and apply a new TN status …..?
Please help.
Ashraf

for last 15 years why have you not applied for Green card?
Curious
Amazing that you at stable in one company...
I am sure once things open your can go to embassy.

Never bring religion based discussion while going for employment... My advice

I work for the state Gov. They cannot do the Green Card Process and I was not either looking for Green Card. since TN1 was working for me ok and I do not have a plans to stay for ever.
Yes I am waiting for embassy to be open and functioning.
Actually, the CBP officer brought it in our talking. I never talk about it. On the other hand we looks like Muslims by the Face and Family dressings. We cannot hide this.

Question: If embassy is taking longer, can I go to the Border again with all fresh documents and same passport with Cancel written on the latest stamped..? It is been 4 month away from family and kids.

Thanks,

>Question: If embassy is taking longer, can I go to the Border again with all fresh documents and same passport with Cancel written on the latest stamped..? It is been 4 month away from family and kids.

No, your TN was not cancelled due to your role or your education or your documents. Fresh documents will likely not help.
It appears your TN was cancelled due to background check and suspicious funding of organizations. It will be in the CBP system. You need to address this.

I see you have two options.
1. hire legal help to fight this, with the embassy closed, it is unknown when you could make appointment
2. give up. admit life is not fair. COVID19 has turned almost everybody's life upside down. your life has turned upside down. have your family move back to Canada and look for a new job in Canada. being on TN for 15 years you knew it was not going to last forever.