TN via mail

Hi

I'm just trying to understand how TN by mail works? So you need to submit i-129 by mail? If its approved, will I get an i-94 along with the approval for the duration or will I have to go to the border again? How would I get a stamp in my passport if the i-94 is mailed? Would there be issues while traveling out of the country later?

I have never got it done by mail before. I understand the i-129 needs to be submitted by the employer. But I am just trying to understand how the process works... Anyone wants to share experiences?

thanks

Last edited:
If you are in US, your I-129 will be submitted with the request to change (or renew) your status to TN (what status are you in now?) and an I-94 will be sent with the approval. If you are outside US, you will need to enter with a copy of the approval and be issued the I-94

I am already in US on TN status. Its due for renewal soon and so trying to see if I can consider the route of i-129 premium process. Will my family be able to get TD i-94 along with mine if my case is approved? Usually the passport is stamp when you get TN at PoE. If its done by mail, I will not have the same. Will it be an issue at a later time I travel outside of country?

I am already in US on TN status. Its due for renewal soon and so trying to see if I can consider the route of i-129 premium process. Will my family be able to get TD i-94 along with mine if my case is approved? Usually the passport is stamp when you get TN at PoE. If its done by mail, I will not have the same. Will it be an issue at a later time I travel outside of country?

Your employer can file it and your dependents can be included in the application. Once approved, you will get an I-94s for all of you, you can attach those to your passports. You shouldn't have any issues travelling out of country as long as you have the valid status in the form of I-94 attached in your passport.

The passport stamp is really meaningless; back in the day, you didn;t need a passport to cross from canada. The I-94 is the only key document, and as CDN9 mentioned, you get that with the approval notice(s).

You need to insist that the employer file the I-539 for your dependants. Most won't, and you are stuck filing it yourself (or sending them to the border).

Quick question on this.......is this I-129 for renewal of existing status with existing organization only or a new employer can also apply?

thanks