TN Status

arun2681

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

Question 1) The following are the documents required for TN Status Renewal by mail through premium processing.

1) I-129 - completed by Employer
2) I-907 for premium processing
3) NAFTA authorization letter (saying TN required for 3 years)
4) Standard Offer Letter
5) Paystubs
6) Resume
7) Degree Transcripts
8) Previous work experience letters
9) Proof of ties outside US (i.e. overseas bank statements and home ownership document)
10) Check of $1000 for Premium Processing and $328 for filing fee

Can anyone please add anything to or comment on the accuracy of the list?

Question 2) Should the $1,000 and $328 checks be Personal Checks or Banker's Checks or Demand Drafts?

Question 3) My TN status expires on March 3, 2009, so I should be ok to file my transfer of TN status by end of January 2009. Please comment.

Question 4) Do we still send the applications to the Vermont Service Center?

Thanks,

arun2681

I just posted this information very recently. Look at this post.
http://forums.immigration.com/showpost.php?p=1999053&postcount=9

5 is irrelevant and never required.

7 is unclear. Are you sending your Degree and Transcripts or just your transcripts? The Degree is what’s required. Transcripts, only if your degree does not match your category and you have taken some courses that relate to this category.

8 is not required unless your degree does not match your category, or your degree is not a degree but a diploma, and your category permits this education credential; then these are required.

9 is irrelevant and not a requirement for TN status.

Personal cheques are fine and can be from the beneficiary, or the petitioner. $328, did the fee for filing an I-129 go up?

Where are the copies of your passport and current I-94?

Vermont Service Center is correct but premium processing is mailed to a different address than standard processing. Check your I-129 Instructions for the correct address.

The only originals that you need to send are the forms (I-129/I-907) and the letter requesting the “extension of stay”, everything else should be a photo copy. All documents become a part of your application and will not be returned to you. NEVER SEND ORGINIALS of any document that you want back.

Premium Processing guarantees 15 day turn-around of your I-129. Mine was approved within 3 days of receipt; however you are eligible to work up to 240 days past the expiry of your current TN, as long as your application is received prior to that expiry. You will receive an I-797C confirming the receipt of your application. Hold on to this until you receive your approval.

Unless your employer is footing the cost, or there are extenuating circumstances, you may want to reconsider the cost of premium processing.

There have been numerous recent posts on this subject. Take some time and check them out.

Al

Last edited by a moderator:
And 4 is made redundant by having 3. Only if you did not have a letter specifically addressing TN requirements, would you then use your actual offer letter.

You have the TN letter, nothing else from the sponsor is of any value.

Just to clarify Alta's comment on point 8. Letters are only needed if are applying for a TN that allows using diploma plus experience. If you have a degree, no letters are needed, and they add nothing to your case. It has nothing to do with proving whether your degree matches your category. Your transcripts would do this, not previous work.