TN Status - General Queries

debargha.lodh

Hello :)!!

My employer is preparing the offer letter and support letter for my TN status and have asked me to confirm my relocation schedule. I am currently based out in Canada (Ottawa) and planning to move to US sometime 2nd week of September. Can you throw some guidance to the below pointers

1. Since my family will be staying back in Canada for a while, I am planning to stay near by across the border and I will be working remotely. Can I make trips back on forth on weekends? If yes, what documents do I need to carry while going back to US and what kind of questions do they usually ask ?

2. I have a trip planned on 1st of September with family to NY and will be back in 3 days. Will be driving from Ottawa by car. Can I directly go for my TN stamping at the nearest border during our trip, considering my start date will be 9th of September ?

3. The nearest preferrable US city I am planning to relocate is Syracuse which is approximately 2.5 hours drive from Ottawa. Any other recommendations are welcome.

4. While leaving to US on TN status, what information do I need to share with Canadian government so that I don't have any liabilities during the period I will be away from Canada.

Hello :)!!

My employer is preparing the offer letter and support letter for my TN status and have asked me to confirm my relocation schedule. I am currently based out in Canada (Ottawa) and planning to move to US sometime 2nd week of September. Can you throw some guidance to the below pointers

1. Since my family will be staying back in Canada for a while, I am planning to stay near by across the border and I will be working remotely. Can I make trips back on forth on weekends? If yes, what documents do I need to carry while going back to US and what kind of questions do they usually ask ?
- Yes, you can travel back and forth during your validity of TN - no concerns.

2. I have a trip planned on 1st of September with family to NY and will be back in 3 days. Will be driving from Ottawa by car. Can I directly go for my TN stamping at the nearest border during our trip, considering my start date will be 9th of September ?

- Yes
4. While leaving to US on TN status, what information do I need to share with Canadian government so that I don't have any liabilities during the period I will be away from Canada.

- Nothing - what "liabilities" are you concerned about?

4. Since your family will be remaining in Canada, you will likely continue to be taxed on your US income in Ontario.
If you want to explore ways that you might be able to not pay Cdn tax on your US income, go to the forums.serbinski.com and ask there.

4. Since your family will be remaining in Canada, you will likely continue to be taxed on your US income in Ontario.
If you want to explore ways that you might be able to not pay Cdn tax on your US income, go to the forums.serbinski.com and ask there.
Thank you @nelsona for your input. I will like to know more about the tax savings. Will post something in the suggested forum.

It is not typical to have to be re-inspected when entering US on an existing TN. Not a worry.
Thank you for the confirmation @nelsona. Quick question, as mentioned in the initial post that my family will join me later, what should be an ideal time to apply for their TD ? Closer to their planned date to relocate ?

Thank you for the confirmation @nelsona. Quick question, as mentioned in the initial post that my family will join me later, what should be an ideal time to apply for their TD ? Closer to their planned date to relocate ?
It is better to apply together: It is easier (and more convenient); get it done when you are applying for your TN.

@nelsona - Since we have a US road trip in early September, planning to apply my TN and my family's TD all together at the border. I believe I can directly walkin for the TN status stamping ?