TN renewed and TD passport

vamn9

I have TN renewed for myself and my family for next three years thru USCIS (I-129) in country last year in Nov. Now, I am planning to visit Toronto thru a road trip and cross border early next month for first time. We all are Canadian citizens and while checking passports, one of my dependent passports is expiring end of October of this year. As there is a current wait of over a month for renewal of Canadian passports, I know we can cross the border fine but will there be any impact on TD status for soon to be expired passport? Thanks!

I-94 is still valid for three years. Will they get I-94 with new expiry date which matches passport expiry date as we can still renew after we are back ..

I-94 is still valid for three years. Will they get I-94 with new expiry date which matches passport expiry date as we can still renew after we are back ..
I-94 is for a particular stay, so once they leave the US, that I-94 ends. When they are admitted again, they will get a new I-94 for the new stay, and that I-94 will be limited by their passport expiration.

They can file I-539 for Extension of Stay within the US (which does cost a few hundred dollars) if they wish. Or, they can (once they get a new passport), leave and re-enter the US to be admitted for a duration matching the TN's I-94, since the period of admission won't be limited by the passport expiration anymore.

Yrs, the TN is granted for three years, but the particular I-94, as newacct points out, was only granted for the duration of passport validity. a new I-94 (with the same TN basis) can be issued.