TN Renewal

TechJunky

Registered Users (C)
Hey guys,

My TN visa expires on December 18, and I'm planning a 10-day trip to Africa on the last week of November, is it OK if I fill the web-based form I-129 the first week of December? How long does the regular process usually take (not the premium one)? what if my visa expires before I get an answer for my visa renewal application?

One more question, do I have an alien number? is it the one in red on the visa stamp?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Until your TN expires, you can enter on it. After it expires, you would need a new TN to re-enter US.

It takes at least 2-3 months to approve an I-129, but in the meantime you are in TN pending state for 240 days past expiry. travel does nothing to a pending I-129, except that you would need a new TN to re-enter after Dec 18, and you would then formally cancel your pending I-129, as it is of no use at that point.

You do not have an alien number until typically you submit either an I-140 or I-485. It is not on your I-94 or in your passport.

travel does nothing to a pending I-129, except that you would need a new TN to re-enter after Dec 18, and you would then formally cancel your pending I-129, as it is of no use at that point.

Hey nelsona, first of all thank you very much for your help.

Do I need to send my passport as part of the supporting documentation for the I-129? this might sound a little stupid since I believe they need to stamp the visa on to my passport, but your comment about travel not affecting a pending I-129 confused me a little.

This is one of the reasons why I was planning on applying for the TN renewal after coming back from my trip.

Thanks in advance !

They do nothing to your passport. In fact you don't need any stamp in your passport for TN. The I-94 is the key.

In any event, you never EVER send original docs to USCIS. A copy of your I-94 and a copy of your Passport picture page is sufficient.

I-129 is not abandonned by traveling outside US. Period.

IF I were you I would just prepare my TN and get it upon return from Africa. Cheaper, fast, and done.

Thanks for your time nelsona !

I will prepare my TN renewal asap.

I'm surprised they don't stamp my passport. I will travel again a few months later after my visa expires (Dec 18), and I usually turn in the I-94 at the airport before boarding the plane so I wonder if the immigration officials will let me back in even when they see that my visa has expired, by then I won't have my I-94 with me since I will have turned it in before leaving for my trip.

Actually I was thinking that human resources might point out that I'm working with a visa that has expired.

so the question is, do I get any "document" so I can proof that my permit has been extended? other than the I-94 since this is turned in upon any international departure.

any comments about this would be appreciated.

Yeah, you need to carry a copy of your I-94 on any trip you take.
... and you are not required to hand over your I-94 upon departure.

hey guys, thanks for your response.

I thought I was required to hand over my I-94... that will make things easier I guess.

Thanks again !!