TN renewal options

nutrient2

Registered Users (C)
My employer would like to extend my TN for another year and I have a couple of questions.

My employer wants me to pay for the fee ($320). Is it ok if I write a check to USCIS directly? Or should the fee come from the employer since they are sponsoring the petition?

On another note, I live in Miami. Does anyone know if it would be possible to go to the airport (MIA) and have it dealt with there for the $56 fee? Or is there another POE within reasonable driving distance?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Yes you could do it at the Miami airport if you enter into Miami. So you would physically have to take a flight out of the US, then come back into the US by plane to get your TN at the airport. So you could fly to Canada or Bahamas or something for a weekend and then upon returning to the US apply for a new TN at the airport when you go through immigration..

The closest one driving distance from Miami would either be Buffalo New York or maybe Brownsville, Texas. Still you would need to drive over the border to Canada or Mexico and then apply for the TN when you enter back into the US. You can not physically do it internally.

You can however, do the mail in TN which by all means you don't have to drive or fly or leave the country. That method is usally the most convienent for people that aren't really close to any borders. So you might want to look into that as well...

Yes you could do it at the Miami airport if you enter into Miami. So you would physically have to take a flight out of the US, then come back into the US by plane to get your TN at the airport. So you could fly to Canada or Bahamas or something for a weekend and then upon returning to the US apply for a new TN at the airport when you go through immigration..

The closest one driving distance from Miami would either be Buffalo New York or maybe Brownsville, Texas. Still you would need to drive over the border to Canada or Mexico and then apply for the TN when you enter back into the US. You can not physically do it internally.

Ok thank you. I was wondering if it was possible to do it without purchasing a flight in order to save the $ for the mail in fee.

You can however, do the mail in TN which by all means you don't have to drive or fly or leave the country. That method is usally the most convienent for people that aren't really close to any borders. So you might want to look into that as well...

I apologize that I wasn't clear in my original post. The $320 fee is for the mail in. I have all of the documents ready for the mail in option but was hoping I could perhaps avoid the $320 fee in favor of the much smaller fee at the airport without having to purchase a flight.

Thank you:)

Go on a one-day cruise. The port will also issue TN -- although they may not be as familiar.

Realize that if you do send in the I-129 and pay $320, it will take at least 4 months, and if you leave US anytime in the meantime, you will need to get the TN at the airpot anyways, for another $50, and your I-129 will be sunk costs.

Go on a one-day cruise. The port will also issue TN -- although they may not be as familiar.

Realize that if you do send in the I-129 and pay $320, it will take at least 4 months, and if you leave US anytime in the meantime, you will need to get the TN at the airpot anyways, for another $50, and your I-129 will be sunk costs.

Thanks for your input.

I am going on a trip to Canada Dec 11-18. I do not plan to leave the US after that until the first week of April. I assume the restrictions on leaving the US only apply after my current TN expires in March? I was thinking that if I sent in the application now, it *should* be approved by the time I leave in April (and if it wasn't I could always just apply on my way back in).

As for the $320 fee, is it ok if I pay for it, with a check in my name?

The cancelation would only be if in effect after your expiry date, as you say.

The fee can be paid by you. Only the H1 fee MUST be paid by sponsor.