TN Renewal - Educational qualification

Canad

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
Can someone please help with my queries?

1. I am presently on a TN visa in US working as a software engineer. My visa is due to expire in March - 2009. I am planning to visit Canada during the Christmas break. Now that the TN is 3 years, I am planning to extend it for 3 more years from the same employer.
Is it OK if I go 4 months in advance to the border for the extension.

2. I have a degree in Mechanical engineering and over 6 years of experience in the software industry. I also have a Post graduate diploma in Software enginering from a career college (1 year full time course), but the equivalency companies are not accepting it for credits (since it is a career college - However they are able to give me a equivalency in Bachelors in Information systems considering my bachelors degree and experience).
Will it be a problem to extend my TN as a software engineer now? For my first TN also, I was very worried that they may deny me on the basis that my degree does not fall in the software field.
Will I be asking for more trouble if I send an I-129 by mail for this extension rather than the border?
How are my chances of getting an extension for 3 more years, keeping in view my educational qualification.

Sorry for the lengthy queries and any help is much appreciated.
Thanks,

1. No POE will grant you a new TN (with no change in terms) with so much time left. 2-4 weeks is the general limit.

2. There is no need to worry. You have an engineering bach degree, which is the requirement. Same applies for both POE or I-129. You got the TN last time. Nothing has changed due to the increased term. For TN purposes, neither your experience, nor your diploma count for amything. However, the courses you took that are software related (are there any courses these days that are not?) could be used to show that your education qualifirs you -- but it wouldn't come to that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Nelsona, for the reply.
One last thing... I am in NJ and would you suggest me any POE's for the TN visa (or do you suggest by post to the Vermont service center?)
Last time I got it at Derby Line, VT which is closer to me (7 hrs drive) (NY and VT borders are usually close to me) but I can travel a bit farther if at other POE's if I have more probability of getting without any hassle.
Please advice.
Thanks once again for your input.

A proper TN petition is acceptable at any POE.

If you are ready to send it now, by I-129, then do so.

Otherwise wait 3 more months and go to the POE. I would plan some other reason to vist canada near that time and just get it on the way back into US.

I'm not a big believer in wasting time/money/effort to make trip for the sole purpose of getting status. Big carbon footprint, no?