TN Renewal Approach

Hi,

My employer picked an option to renew my TN status by mail while I stay in the US (with ample time left). Does it make sense to tell my employer to instead let me go to a POE (i.e. visit a POE in about 1.5 weeks prior to current TN status expiry)? I'm concerned about USCIS RFE's plus international travel being restricted when that next TN status takes effect (including not being able to go to Canada and returning back to US without forfeiting the TN or having to re-adjudicate it). I've always applied for a TN at a POE (including renewal) without issue, and heard bad things about the mail-in option.

Thanks.

Travel is NOT restricted when your sponsor files an I-129 for TN extension.

You can certainly ask your employer to let you petition at the border, but it is up to them.

Thanks, nelsona. Further, my employer said something about my future I-129 being considered abandoned if I travel outside of the US while that I-129 is being processed. Usually I'd have a multiple entry stamp upon approval for the non-I-129/POE approach. Re-adjudicating would be messy if CBP doesn't recognize the USCIS approval of a I-129 for TN extension (when I'm entering back into the US), so have to bring all docs each time.

This is not the case. In any event, before your current I-94 expires you simply enter on that. If you cross after current is expired (assuming you don't have the approval in hand) you simply ask CBP to check its status (but it would be good on that visit to have backup paperwork to make a border petition.