TN -> GC possible in just 12 months?

My I-140 was applied in May 2007 and in August 2007 I changed my job.
Went to the border and got the new TN.

Its was as easy as do it by mail. I was not even asked 1 question.

Not sure if thats different than having an approved 140

I think at worst, an approved 140 will get you interrogated harshly by CBP.

sticklizard,

Did I miss something in this thread? I've read and I don't understand. Are you expecting to get your GC in 12 months? Or are you just asking how to go about things if you only have 12 more months left to wait for your GC.

If your just applying for your PERM now, the wait for a GC is about 5 years with a bachelor's degree but current for those with a Master's degree. Unless you are filing in the National Interest Category - or a Schedule A Sheep Herder:D

Just wondering.

...so if I file concurrently (as my lawyer has advised), I will most likely have my I-129 denied, regardless of POE/USCIS, regardless of prem processing... but the benefit of concurrent is I can apply for EAD right away (assuming I have 4 months left on TN), which would make getting a TN renewal unnecessary...

Just my 2 cents on the TN->GC (which I successfully did), I would not file concurrently coz I want to make sure my I-140 is approved, especially if you want to renew your TN after and just in case it gets denied u still can use a TN, however, with filing concurrently and u get denied at I-140 u've already shown immigrant intent with a filed I-485. In my case, when I got my labor cert approved, i went ahead and renewed my TN and after I got approval, I then applied for I-140 using prem processing (within 2 weeks I got approval). After that I filed I-485 which gave me a year to wait for my EAD.

Good luck!

sticklizard,

Did I miss something in this thread? I've read and I don't understand. Are you expecting to get your GC in 12 months? Or are you just asking how to go about things if you only have 12 more months left to wait for your GC.

If your just applying for your PERM now, the wait for a GC is about 5 years with a bachelor's degree but current for those with a Master's degree. Unless you are filing in the National Interest Category - or a Schedule A Sheep Herder:D

Just wondering.

Sorry for the confusion. It should really read TN->EAD in 12 months. I'm just not sure if my lawyer is 100% accurate. I was told I can do my PERM, 140/485 concurrent, and EAD/AP acquired all in one year. From what I've read it seems doable.

PERM: 3-4 months
I-140: 6 months
I-485: 18 months

GC: 50 months

You should get EAD within about 6 months of starting PERM, by lining up all documantation as needed, not waiting for each step to be completed.

Of course this requires that you be able to file i-485 concurrently, which implies that you would be filing I-140 in EB2 category, not regular EB3.

If you are EB3, you won't get EAD for several years, since you won't beallowed to file I-485 until category is up to current date. It is now in mid-2002.

and if you are EB2, then you can get GC within a yesr after filing.

If you are EB3, you won't get EAD for several years, since you won't beallowed to file I-485 until category is up to current date. It is now in mid-2002.

and if you are EB2, then you can get GC within a yesr after filing.

So since the company petitioning for me a job that requires a Bachelors Degree and 4-5 years of experience (which puts me at EB3), there's no way I can go from PERM to EAD within 12 months...

So TN->GC (EAD) are meant for people with a Masters or higher...

So since the company petitioning for me a job that requires a Bachelors Degree and 4-5 years of experience (which puts me at EB3), there's no way I can go from PERM to EAD within 12 months...

So TN->GC (EAD) are meant for people with a Masters or higher...

You can do EB2 with Bachelors and 5 years of experience which I did.