TN extention and travel plans

melzvy

Hi,

I'm working with a TN extension that expires until september 2007 and I want to do travel plans to mexico this month but my question is, based on the information founded here aparently I can go to mexico and reenter to the united states with the extension that I have: "the green receipt and the new I-94 Departure Record with no stamp", I'm mexican citizen and I'm not sure if is the same process than the Canadian citizens.
I know that I need to give the 2 I-94 forms that I have at the moment of departure so they can register it, but the big thing that is stopping me is that I was talking with the lawyer that do my process for the TN work permit in the company that I'm working for and he told me that the extension only works if I stay here in US but if I go to Mexico I'll need to do an appointment in the US consulate in Mexico in order to get a new valid stamp, He's refering to the big TN stamp with picture and info with new date of expiration that is paste in my passport. The times for the appointment could be in weeks or months and is not an option.

So I'm affraid that not only with my tn extension I can return to US like some comments posted here.
I just wonder if somebody have experience with this and any comments are appreciate.

The absence of a need for visa applies only to Canadians. So, since your visa has expired, you will not be able to re-enter on TN (even though the I-94 is still current) without updating your visa at a consulate.

You do not have to give back the 'greenish' I-94 when you leave, since that has not expired, and even for mexicans, I-94 is considered multiple entry. Your visa stamp would only be good until Sept 2007, so you are likely better off preparing your NEXT TN, valid from Sept 2007 until next year, and then getting a consular visa stamp good for a whole year.

The same situation is faced by non-Cdn spouses of Cdn TNers. They can extend their TDs indefinitely, a year at a time, long past the expiration of their visa, as long they remain in US. Once they leave, they need consular visa stamp to come back.

the one thing that can hlep you is AVR (automatic visa renewal) if you are in Mexico for less than 30 days. You must keep all your i-94s in this case to proove your remained in status when returning.

Last edited by a moderator: