TN Extension is held up in "Security Check", can I go to the border & get it renewed?

karkoor24

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,

I am a Canadian citizen working on a TN which is slated to expire in mid-November. My employer has sent in my TN extension forms 2 months ago (expedited) and since the reply was due in 15 days or less, she just contacted USCIS and they advised her that my application is pending "security check".

My question is, if I don't hear back from them by say Mid-October, can I simply fly over to the border and get the TN renewed just like I did last year?

Please advise. I appreciate your assistance.

Thanks

Sure. I wouldn't make an unnecessary trip. Since you have submitted your I-129 in a timely fashion, your TN is, in effect, extended 240 days past its current expiry, so you remain in status until roughly July (pending appraoval or denial of this I-129 of course).

You can simply get your new TN anytime after Novemeber 1st, the next time you plan to leave US. No need to make a special trip.

If you do get a border TN, remember to formally cancell this I-129 by letter. this is especially important in your case, since it is in an unusual state. I've never heard of a security check on a TN.