TN Extension Application Pending but Couldn't Wait...

belld001

Registered Users (C)
Hi, I send in my TN Visa extension application in the beginning of August, and have been waiting since then. I really did not expect it to take this long. Now it is Christmas and I would like to spend some time with my family, so I am thinking of going through Niagara Falls POE or Montreal POE next weekend. Would this be a problem? (Having a case pending then go to POE) What documents should I prepare?

Also, which POE would be better? I live in Toronto but some one told me that the Montreal POE is easier. Is it worth the extra travel?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes you can apply for your new TN status at the border while your new TN status you submitted by mail is still pending. I believe that the mail in one might replaced the one you get at the border possibly. Not 100% sure on this. If not it might just get cancelled as you will have already obtained a brand new TN status for the next year.

Bring everything you did for your first TN, it's the exact same thing as you are applying again for yet another new TN status. It's no different from your first TN. The only thing is you'll probably need to show them your current (to be expired) TN and the docs proving you mailed in for a new TN just to show that you've been in status still (if your previous TN has already expired and you're using the 240 day grace period)...

When I travel home to Toronto I always go to the Buffalo POE. I have never had any trouble there and have had about 6 TNs from there. I have been told not to go to the Niagara Falls POE though. Not sure about Montreal, but Buf. is closer...

fire101 said:
When I travel home to Toronto I always go to the Buffalo POE. I have never had any trouble there and have had about 6 TNs from there. I have been told not to go to the Niagara Falls POE though. Not sure about Montreal, but Buf. is closer...

Which one is the Buffalo POE? Did you mean the airport? Or is there a POE at Fort Erie or Lewiston?

Thank you for your reply.

I think the peace bridge POE is good, I was in the same situation, and had to travel so I went and got my renewal, and believe as you travel out of the states your pending one cancels, but I also received the original through the mail

belld001 said:
Which one is the Buffalo POE? Did you mean the airport? Or is there a POE at Fort Erie or Lewiston?

Thank you for your reply.

Yeah, the Fort Erie POE at the Peace Bridge is by far the best place I have done TN's at. Although the number of people waiting there can be a lot, I have had them take all of the TN's first a few times. That makes what seems like a few hour wait, to be about 20-30 mins.

Oh, and I did just obtain a TN at San Ysidro (the small town between San Deigo, CA and Tijuana, Mexico. While in line there the entire computer system went down (yup, nation wide!) for more than two hours!