TN Expires in October, can I renew before that?

Giova

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
My TN expires October 6th 2007. The company I currently work for wants to keep me for another year and will provide me with an employment letter like last time. My question is: Can I renew my TN in September before the one I have expires or do I have to wait until last minute to do it?
Thanks!

You can renew BY MAIL at least 4 months early, if not six. Read the instructions on I-129.

At border, they will only renew in the last few weeks.

Thanks for the info.
Which POE was that? I really want to do it at a POE, it quicker and cheaper.

Getting your new TN at the POE will depend on the INS guard that you talk to. Some will let you get it in advance and others will not. It's really a personality issue rather then a specific time frame issue. I have a friend who applied 1 week before his TN was ready to expire and wanted to get a new one. He was told that was too early and he needed to come back within a few days not (weeks) to get a new TN. He was in driving distance so that wasn't a big deal for him.

You might have better luck getting your new TN at the airport (fly into Canada) and then on your return flight. I recall doing that once and getting my TN a few weeks before it expired...

Thanks for your advice. I think I will fly into Canada and do it at the Toronto Airport, I really don't want to take any chances.
Thanks again.