TN being lengthened to 3 years, why not ask for spouse to be able to work?

projectpete19

Registered Users (C)
This falls under give a person an inch they want a mile, but thats life.

Since i have read that it is more than likely that the length you can work on a TN visa is going to be lengthened to 3 years, why dont they let the spouse of a TN visa holder be able to work at the same time?

My parents are on an E-2 visa, when the E-2 was originally created only the person holding the E-2 could work, later on Bush passed a bill that let the spouse of an E-2 visa holder work as well.

Do you think this could be a possibility, and if so how do we go about bringing this to the attention of the USCIS?

Apples and oranges,

Allowing the spouse to work with respect to an E-2 is somewhat akin to the idea of a mom and and pop shop and communal investment assets being used for the business.

A TN is being granted based on the skill level of the person entering the country. If there is very little or no skill level at all on the part of the spouse, then the department of labor and USCIS want to see that job going to American that might need it. You are theoretically displacing a U.S. worker that may not have any special skills - unlike the TN which is for a specialty skill.

If the spouse has a specialty skill, then they can get their own TN or H1B depending on the situation.

The key is "bill passed". TN to 3 years doesn't require bill. TD working does.

There will not be any TN-amending bills this decade.

This is similar to the H4....
pretty much the only they can do, as far as I know, is go to school...
even in that case, I think they need to pay out-of-state tuition... :mad: