TN and GC Application

rainman007

Registered Users (C)
Dear Friends,
I am working on a TN visa, I married a US citizen recently. Is it legit for my wife to apply for my GC while I am in the US on a TN visa (expires in 1 year). Any experiences you could share would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Raine.

Yep, you can apply for your GC while here on a TN. Just submit the I-485, I-130 and I-765 and supporting documents. You can still work under your TN until it expires. Once it expires, though, you cannot apply for a new one. You'll need the EAD (I-765) to work after your TN expires. I've gone through the same process and got my Green Card in about 6 months. If there is one thing I would recommend I would send in your applications 5-6 months before your TN expires. I sent mine in 4 months before and I was cutting it close to getting my EAD before my TN expired.

Actually it will be you sending in the forms and documents not your wife. Yep all very possible. I was in the same boat, though with the research, we got married after I got my new TN, so that would give me a full 11 months on the TN for waiting if needed. New TN in June, Married in Aug, EAD and AP in Sept and now a few years later I'm a US Citizen. So all very possible. But as mentioned, you just don't want to predict getting the EAD so soon, so you do want to give yourself as much TN time as possible in case your case gets delayed or something...

Hi,
I'm on TN as well and applying for AOS (got my I-140 and not retrogressed). I'm going through filling out form I-485, and with regards to date of last arrival, should I enter the date when they stamped my passport and gave me an I-94? or the last time I crossed the border (land) back to US where they usually just look at passport and let u go? I'm confused about this 90-day wait after last admission to prove non-immigrant intent. Greatly appreciate your advice!

Thanks in advance,
pinoyInDC :)

Hi,
I'm on TN as well and applying for AOS (got my I-140 and not retrogressed). I'm going through filling out form I-485, and with regards to date of last arrival, should I enter the date when they stamped my passport and gave me an I-94? or the last time I crossed the border (land) back to US where they usually just look at passport and let u go? I'm confused about this 90-day wait after last admission to prove non-immigrant intent. Greatly appreciate your advice!
Use the most recent stamped date you have in your passport (or I-94). Don't worry about 90 days. there is no such rule.