TN-1 processing times

Dana2592

Registered Users (C)
I am aware that it takes longer to get the TN-1 extension by mail. However, I am worried because I sent my application over 3 weeks ago and USCIs didn't even cash the checks. In the past, they did it very fast.

yes, they are extremely backed up at VSC right now. It took me over a month for VSC to cash my check and it has been over 110 days since i sent the petition without an approval notice yet.

Don't expect an approval notice from VSC until about 150 days. that seems to be the speed they are running at right now.

you can track the H1-Bs at www.trackitt.com to get a sense of the speeds.

gunt said:
It took me over a month for VSC to cash my check and it has been over 110 days since i sent the petition without an approval notice yet.

Gunt,
Your sig says you got your GC already on 8/28/06. Why would you be waiting for a TN? I'm guessing that was the last TN since before you applied for yuor I-485?

Last edited by a moderator:
My recept date is Apr 27 and I am still waiting. You can imagine how slow it they are nowadays. Based on their website, from Sep 18 to Oct 12 they proceeded only three days from Apr 7 to Apr 10.

My receipt date is July 6, the website processing dates have moved from April 3 to April 11 since I received my notice. At the current rate I do not expect to have my renewal within the 240 day grace period.

curiousGeorge said:
Gunt,
Your sig says you got your GC already on 8/28/06. Why would you be waiting for a TN? I'm guessing that was the last TN since before you applied for yuor I-485?

I sent a I-129 to VSC on 6/2/06 to renew the TN. I got my I-140 approved on 6/21/06. Because i knew that VSC was taking a long time (didn't have my receipt notice yet), i decided to go to canada to get a new TN. Then when i came back, i filed I-485. So even though it is irrelevant, i still have a I-129 TN petition at VSC waiting for a denial.

sheri100 said:
My receipt date is July 6, the website processing dates have moved from April 3 to April 11 since I received my notice. At the current rate I do not expect to have my renewal within the 240 day grace period.

I have the same receipt as you have(July 6), How do we count the 240 days grace period, from the TN expiration date or from the receipt notice date?

TiggerW said:
I have the same receipt as you have(July 6), How do we count the 240 days grace period, from the TN expiration date or from the receipt notice date?

240 days grace period starts from the day your current TN expires..

I'm in the same situation.

My application receipt is Jun 19th, and I was definetely expecting the TN to be processed by now. In the past it has taken perhaps 2 months.

Question is this, can I take all the necessary documents to the border and apply for a TN should I reach the 240 day grace period? I guess this would void my current application, but as long as INS gives me a new TN I will be content.

Cheers

Mike

Should I just go to the border?

After reading the above threads, I was hoping that someone could help answer my questions:

I am currently on a TN Visa. My Visa expires in one month. I have been offered a job with another employer which will again qualify me for a TN Visa.

Should I:
1) Have my new employer fill out the I-129 form and send it to Vermont? given from what I have read, Vermont may not get back to me in time? Am I better off going to the border and getting a new TN?

2) I am a Canadian citizen and I live in San Diego, California, about a 10 minute to the Mexican border. Do I need to go back to Canada to get a new TN Visa (and spend the money on flight, etc...), or can I simply cross the border at Tijuana, Mexico (10 mins away) and get my TN there?

Thanking all responses in Advance,
Alex

1) You can't apply for an extension and switch to another company. It is for extending the current TN... apply at a point of entry border crossing.

2) I have been successful at that location once and not successful once also. The first time (about 5 years ago), I was there outside the hours they offer 'special cases' but they took me and approved me with no hassles. The next year I went down and was denied after the lady asked me a lot of questions - she had no idea about the TN, and from the beginning it didn't seem to go well with her.

Make sure you understand how to get to the office at that border crossing.... You have to park in a public parking lot near the foot crossing bridges on the American side. Then you walk across the border to the office. Be careful, there are a lot of weirdos there (one freaky looking lady yelled "BANG! You're dead!" after I walked past her... - maybe it was fitting since that is when the officer shot down my application...)

If you do get denied there (or anywhere), it sticks with you forever! Even after having about 5 TNs since then, I still get asked about it, and I don't see it going away any time soon. I would say go there and try... just be sure to be very specific about wanting to return to Canada after the year is up. I was told by immigration officers at the Buffalo crossing (where I do most of my TNs) that since the MX TNs have a limited number, they are hesitant to give them out down there (and more confused about them, since a Canadian applying there won't take away from the Mexican's number available...)

Hope that helps!

Just another quick question: do the immigration officers find it strange that someone shows up with no luggage, etc... and wants to enter the US? or are they ok with the fact that you just walked across the border, into Mexico, walked back to the office, and now want to re-enter the US with a TN visa? do they care?

It appears that it is as simple as leaving my car parked on the American side, crossing by foot, getting the TN, and walking back to my parked car and driving home?

thanks