Tired to renew EAD!

No Title

It very well makes sense. That is to my understanding as well. But sometimes logic and common sense does not prevail in Immigration Laws. Would be nice if an immigration lawyer or someone who works for a law firm can confirm this for us.
  I think this question should be directed at Gilbert (or a lawyer, or someone who works in a law firm).

Gilbert,

Do you know any asylee who has been banned from adjusting to LPR because they worked without EAD? I said ASYLEE, therefore referring to someone who already holds an asylum status.

Thank you

J.A.

No Title

I don\'t know about independent contractors. I think the same question could be asked about a self-employed person.

I find the second question abit humorous ( no pun intended) because in actuality most asylees, including myself, have to work atleast 2 jobs to meet the days end. But you bring up a valid question. What if an asylee won a big lottery ( or a huge cash settlement from a legal battle) and decided to retire. But then who am I kidding, such a lucky guy would find many other alternative methods of becoming a US citizen (investor greencard, marriage,...).

No Title

I do know people, who were asked to show renewed work permit. Both had an application pending. And they were suspended, when they did not produce it in time.
Also on my job application was a ps, that in certain cases EAD expiration date might be a reason for not hiring.

No Title

Annv,

Are they asylees? If that is the case then they can probably sue the employer for discrimination now because the employer has violated the law. Assuming that the employment termination took place after April 4, 2001 after the new DHHS law started taking effect.
 I think in your case you can be exempt from that PS because the INA considers asylees to have permanent employment authorization now. Print out the DHHS letter and show it to your employer.

No Title

Guess where did the practice of granting people asylum come from? Originally asylum was giving to royal families whose countries had coup d\'etat.

I think those asylees were awfully rich ;-)

No Title

:) I think the first asylum in America was given to a boat load of English and Dutch people fleeing religious persecution from Holland and England. But 380 years later asylees are the longest awaited group among immigrants to get their Green Card. If Emma Lazarus were still alive today she would rephrase her famous poem like this:

" Give me your rich, talented investors yearning to make more money...,"

Sad, but it\'s the bitter truth of what the world has become.

My I-485 Interview Appointment Letter

For obvious reasons I can\'t just scan it and post it on the net. But here\'s how my I-485 Interview Appointment Letter looks like:

"Please come to the office shown below at the time and place indicated in connection with an official matter.

OFFICE LOCATION: xxxxxxxx

Date and Time: xx/xx/xxxx

Officer: Officer X
         D.A.O

Reason for Appointment: Application for Adjustment of Status

THIS INTERVIEW WILL BE VIDEO TAPED

PLEASE BRING ALL ITEMS THAT ARE CHECKED (X) TO THE INTERVIEW

This letter, all passports, all INS issued documents, and person who filed petition for you.

Proof of immunizations & medical, If not submitted with application

Valid photo ID for the petitioner and/or Beneficiary

Current letter of employment for petitioner and/or beneficiary

Documents of marriage relationship such as photos, copies of bank statements, recent tax returns or W-2

Long form of birth certificate issued by state or government. Copies of Child\'s birth cert.

----------------------------------------------------
Do not wait in line, Go directly to security guard.

No Title

It seems to me that they ( the INS) use one generic letter for all Adjustment of Status interviews (marriage, EB, asylum, and god knows what else). But luckily I had everything except for the marriage certificate (duhhh...I\'m single). BTW, when I asked my employer to give me an "emploment letter" they worriedly and repeatedly told me that THEY ARE NOT SPONSORING ME FOR A GREEN CARD. HA HA!

No Title

No, they were not asylee, they had application pending.
BTW I printed the letter and went to SS office few month ado. Security guard turned me around and said "come back when you have a green card". I dropped by to the Federal Plaza on lunch hour, so I didn\'t have time to discussion. If I knew that our office building will be blown up and I will have to take day off to get to Federal plaza, I would be more pushy. Now I wait, when they will relocate as back to Manhattan to try again.

No Title

That figures.
Yeah, I know the types. I have met a few of them myself here and there. Sometimes there is a phone number you can call and file a complaint about their political incorrectness. But in most cases nothing will happen or they will just get a "slap on the wrist."
Do I understand you correctly that the SS office you went to was inside one of the WTC towers?

No Title

No, I worked in WTC. SS office is in Federal Plaza building. It was 10 min walk, so I dropped by there in lunch hour. Now we are relocated to Jersey, and I have no idea, where to find SS office, even if I do, it will be technically on another state. We supposed to be back on Wall street in arch, so I decided to wait until that.