TIPs on saving time and money for applying for applying passport: My experience

Visio2000

Registered Users (C)
FYI for anyone who plan to apply for US passport.

I applied my passport and passport card on 9/12 around 11:50 AM at a township clear office. Then I was told it could takes 4-6 weeks. However my passort book arrived today (in 7 calender days). For me, I am used to the USCIS related service which easily takes months or years. This is lighting fast! I guess this is not USCIS any more.

First tip is you do not need to do expedited services if it is not in urgent need. I did not choose expedited serive ($60 more) or over night (additional $14.85 more) and I did not even mention that I have any travel plan in the form. I just applied by routine service. It could because now is not travel season.

Some other tips:
1. When you check where to apply the passport on http://iafdb.travel.state.gov/ make sure click displayed facilities name, which provide you the detailed information about the address, office hours and if appointment is required. In my own township, it only take passport application in 3 half days of each week and by appointment only. When I called, the appointtment is 2 week later. But just in the township which right next to our township, it takes application 5 days a week and no appointment needed. You do not need to be the resident of the town. Some places even open in late hours or weekends.

2. Make sure you call before you go. At first, I was about to apply my passport at a post office near by. When I called it and I was told they do not process passort card.

3. If possible, you better to apply for both passport card and passport book with the same application form and only add $20 more. If you apply for the card later with a seperate form, you need to pay $25 more (and additional photos, I assume).

4. You can fill out the form online and print it before you go but do not sign it (you sign it in front of clerk). It saves time.

My passport card did not arrived (I do expect it takes longer than passport book) and my citizenship certificate paper was not returned to me yet. The note arrived with passport said I should expect 3 seperate mails: passport book, card and return of my citizenship certificate.

I live in NJ and the passport was mailed out from DC.

Good luck for everybody!