Timeline - Notice of Action - I-485 San Francisco

sym123,

I am not going to use him becuase of previous experience back to my H-1b visa. I am still struggling to find good lawyer. Please let me know if somebody else recommended you a good lawyer. Thanks

JICT

Hi JICT,

The owner of this website Mr. Khanna is an immigration attorney. By looking at some of his responses, he seems very knowledgible. And, for immigration matters, I don't think there is a state boundary. Good luck.

Hi JICT,
You can check out www.jwulaw.com. I do not have any personal experience with him but his record looks pretty good. Let me know if you have any good recommendation for lawyer as well as I'm still looking.

JICT and others,
I spoke to an immigration attorney yesterday and she basically told me if she's not the attorney on record when I filed my I-485, she cannot do much for me. First, USCIS will not talk to her b/c she's no on my record and second, it takes a long time to file the paperwork to put an attorney on record for a case that has been filed USCIS. She said that there is an obvious delay for my case as she knows that USCIS is scheduling interview for cases filed in Sept. 2003 at the SF District Office. I wonder if there anybody out there still waiting for an interview from USCIS and they filed before the 7/25/2003 processing date for the SF District Office posted by USCIS?

I'm waiting also....

App sent June 11, 2003
Check Cashed June 23, 2003
Receipt Received July 25, 2003
Fingerprinted August 7, 2003

I was hoping I would receive the interview letter at the end of March....

*sigh*

CanMan,
My case was filed about 1 month before yours and I'm still waiting. Let's keep each other posted on any progress. Have you inquired about your case status with USCIS via phone, letter, or in person? BTW, I was married in July 2002 and we didn't apply for a green card until May 2003 and I have a valid H1-B visa while my case was filed.

takin' forever!

Hi sym123,

I had an employment based application filed a few years ago (its taken so long, I can't even remember!). I got married in January 2001, and finally filed a marriage based application myself (versus the employment-based one that was filed by my companies attorney). Next Monday, my companies attorney will write a request for information on my behalf, which may or may not be bounced since it is unclear if he is the attorney on record.

I guess the delay doesn't make too much of a difference, except my EAD document expires in September, so I will have to take more time off of work to get re-fingerprinted, etc. Also, can't easily travel.

Hi CanMan,
I didn't have an employmend immigration case filed prior to my marriage based case but I'm still waiting. As for the EAD, mine will expire middle of June and I read on USCIS' website that I can only renew 30 days prior to expiration. I wonder if you have any other information as to when to renew the EAD. I have been using my AP to travel and so far, I haven't had any problem with it. My AP will expire in June as well so I will have to renew my AP as I need to take another trip in September. I wrote to USCIS about 3 weeks ago to inquire status of my case but still no feedback. I sent another inquirty letter this Tuesday with return receipt but I still haven't received the return receipt back.

Hi CanMan,
Any progress with you case? I am still waiting and I will send in my application to renew my EAD and AP tomorrow. I also talked to someone at the office of my Congressman (Tom Lantos) and asked them to inquire about my case. The person I talked to asked me to send in a letter and my Receipt Notice so that he will try to find out the status of my case at USCIS. He says he'll get back to me in the next few weeks.

watching paint dry....

Hi Sym,

Nope, no progress on my front. My companies attorney wrote to the INS requesting an update, but they bounced his request because he wasn't the attorney on record for the family based application (he was on the employment based). He suggested I could write a letter, or spend a day at the INS and request an update.

so, I guess this weekend I will write a letter myself.

uuuurrghhhhh. The funny thing is that I don't really care if they approve my application or not (although I see no reason why they wouldn't). This uncertainty feels "unsettling".

CanMan,
Just want to let you know I submitted application to renew my EAD and AP in the begining of may. One week after application is submitted, received notice to pick up EAD and AP after June 1, 2004. This is the quickest response I ever received from the SF office. On the other hand, still waiting for the interview letter.

Update

Hey Sym,

My Lawyer left me a voice mail on May 5th saying that he had received an email from the INS stating my interview would be scheduled "soon". Define "soon"? :) In INS-speak that might be before the year 2300!

Anyways, my EAD is good until the middle of September, so I am just trying not to spend much time thinking about this for a few more months.

Just curious, how long is your AP for?

I wonder what percentage of immigrants die of old age before they actually get their passports stamped?

-CanMan

GungaDin said:
Just in case anyone is wondering (as I was on pins and needles the last few weeks), here is an update on the current times at San Francisco:

Sent Packet 10/27/03
Received at BCIS - 10/29/03
Checks Cleared 10/31/03
Notice Date 11/25/03
EAD/Advance Parole Pickup - Any Tuesday after 12/08/03
Fingerprinting 12/9/03

Update:
I was surprised to get the interview so soon (website says 10 months so I wasn't expecting this until August or so...), but read on...

Interview notice sent out May 05/04
Interview Date: May 19, (this morning)

Arrived. All went well EXCEPT that the Security Check is not complete yet. Anyway, the interview lasted 30 mins or so (most of it was me looking for photocopies of documents in my HUGE pile)
The lady said she's going to approve the case as she feels the marriage is legit. However, as the Security clearance is not back yet, we will receive another notice to come back and get my passport stamped.

So another wait begins... (they said they check security clearances weekly).

Hi CanMan,
Good to hear that you finally received a response from INS. I haven't picked up my new AP yet but for the previous two APs, they're valid for 6 months and 7 months respectively. Last time when I picked up my second AP in November 2003, the immigration officer told me that I should have an interview before my AP expired and it's going to expire on June 9, 2004....and I'm still waiting.

Hello CanMan,

I haven't visited the board for a long time. Just want to update you since we had very similar case (waiting for employment based and later file a family based) My family case was filed in late May, 2003.

I was callled for an interview in Feb, thinking it was a family based interview because the date concided. It turned out to be an employment based scheduled way ahead of time. My company attorney and I have discussed earlier and we decided to withdraw it on the spot because I was thinking about leaving the company at that point. They said I should get a family based interview very very soon. But it didn't come till 3 months later.

My family based interview was finally conducted yesterday. All things went well and I got my stamp.

It's pretty interesting that both interviews were scheduled right after my company attorney filed for my AP/EAD renewal. I travel quite a bit for work and last AP was only issued for 3 months. I was theorizing that they have forgotten about the case until somebody pulled it out when renewal was requested.

Anyway, good luck to you. I have learned to forget about it while I waited. I found out it's actually much easier than tracking it and checking the board constantly, etc.

Let_It_Be

Conditional PR approved!

Finally after almost 4 months since my AOS interview in SF Office on 2/9, I got letter of stating that my conditional permanent residency is approved on 5/20 and last week I received the welcome letter from the BCIS. I should be getting the G-card in the mail in another 3-4 weeks. :p

Ah7774 said:
Nice to know that you got your case approved!!! Hope you will receive you card really soon.

Turbo-

I received my GC last week, btw, it was not green at all.. hahah.. I will say that it take about 3-4 weeks to get the final card..

Hi CanMan,

I haven't visited the board since I last written. Good news is that I finally recieved my letter for an interview on June 22, 2004. I am supposed to renew my AP and EAD as well but this means taking more time off from work to visit USCIS since I can only go in for my AP and EAD on Mondays after June 1 and my interview is on a Tuesday.

Any updates from your end?

AOS Finally Approved after long time name check

Hello,

My family based AOS case was finally approved on June 30 after long time waiting. For those who interesting, I have listed time line below. I want to express appreciate to this site and members for shearing information and support for past two years although I was not an active member to post message due to the frustration with the long waiting time. I also what to advice folks, who have experienced a lot frustration as I did, to stay positive and do what you can do. Your day will come. Thanks again.

By the way, I need to go to San Francisco to get my passport stamped. The approval letter asked me to go 444 Washington Street. Does it mean that I have to wait on long line to get ticket first and wait to be call to a window to get passport stamped? Or I will be allowed to skip the line? Could anyone please give me some input about this? Thank you.

JICT

April 19, 2002: File I-130/I-485 and got AP and EAD
Sept. 29, 2002: hade First FP done
Dec. 16, 2002: had Interview and started long time waiting for name check clearance
Feb. 28, 2003: Second EAD
Aug. 14, 2003: first Congressional inquiry and USCIS San Francisco office answer was waiting for name check and may need 120 more days.
Nov 25, 2003: Second AP:
Feb 27, 2004: Third EDA
March 14, 2004: Inquiry for name check status through FOIA
April 15: email from FOIA saying name check is current pending (nice answer)
May 17, 2004: Second congressional inquiry and USCIS San Francisco office answer was waiting for name check and may need 90 more days.
June 7, 2004: second inquiry for name check result or estimate result time through FOIA office
June 23, 2004 receive letter from San Francisco from office request for second FP.
June 26, 2004: second FP done
June 30, 2004: approval letter
I still have no clue if my name check was cleared or not.
:rolleyes: