Timeline for Parents' GC

vinayakk

Registered Users (C)
I know there have been some threads that give out the timeframe for this. But in most of the posts some important piece of information is missing. After looking at most of the post under Family Based Green Card, I find 2 bits of information missing.

Most posters don't mention whom they have filed for and most also miss out the DO information. Without these bits of information its impossible to correlate the information with what you need.

I am looking to find out how long does is taken for the parents to get a GC once you have applied for it?

I applied for my Parents' GC in mid Oct 2008 at the San Jose DO. The FP was done mid-Nov. I have NOT applied for EAD or AP. Anyone from this DO have any idea on the time span in takes? If you have applied for your parents and received interview letters or approvals, would you please share some information.

Thanks.

I am wondering same.

Below are my mothers timeline. We filled from Ohio.
She is out of country now on Parol.

Any information on when I should expect her approval/ IL is greately appreciated.

thanks

Aug 19(-1) - Mailed I-131, I-130 and I-485
Aug 20(0)- Applications received
Aug 25(5)- NOA received for 130, 131 and 485
Aug 25(5)- Checks encashed
Aug 27(5)- Received FP Notice (Sceduled for 17th Sep)
Sep 17 - FP done
Sep 17- received letter saying case transfered to CA service center,
Oct 1- 130 + 485 status seen online. (not sure when it started showing, I checked it on 1 stOct.) 131 not yet seen online
Oct 29 - I 31 LUd changed. Approval letter sent / received.
No progress seen since then

I am also getting concerned now about my Mother's GC. It has been 4 months since we applied but besides AP approval no news on GC front. I see from other posts that marriage based candidates are getting approvals from September filers but no posts from Parents GC approvals. Earlier it used to take around 4 months but lately the time is increasing.

Please keep posting to keep this thread active.

I applied for AOS for my mother in September (RD/ND was around mid-September). FP appointment was beginnig of October. She got EAD by the end of November (so we could apply for SSN for her). We did not apply for AP (she overstayed turist visa, so cannot leave USA before getting GC). No progress since.

I applied for AOS for my mother in September (RD/ND was around mid-September). FP appointment was beginnig of October. She got EAD by the end of November (so we could apply for SSN for her). We did not apply for AP (she overstayed turist visa, so cannot leave USA before getting GC). No progress since.

If she overstayed more than 6 months then you cannot travel but if 485 is filed within 6 months after I-94 date then AP is ok to travel. Do you have any info that states otherwise?

Parents GC, thru CP

11/12/08 Mailed 130
11/16/08 RD
11/24/08 ND
11/24/08 Checks cashed

Waiting for:
--NVC Case Number
--Choice of Address and Agent
--I-864 (Affidavit of Support)

Well, my mom was out of status for about 7 months before I got my citizenship and could file AOS for her. So no leaving US for her.
On the other hand, it looks to me that if one were out of status for less then 6 months, and then applied for I-485 (and thus got in status again) then traveling is OK, i.e. there will be no entrance ban issue. But it is a risky business, so I would double and tripple check and only travel if absolutely nesessary.
By the way, today my mom got an invitation for the interview on February 26.

Last edited by a moderator:
My mom's application is now pending over 4 months. 3 and 1/2 months since case transferred to CSC. Is it safe to assume that there will not be any RFE now?