Timeline for I-130 consular processing in India for parents

dhirendra_sh

Registered Users (C)
My understanding is that for parents who are outside of USA, we need to go through Consular processing after I-130 approval. How much time it takes for parents in India ? Just wanted to get an overall idea of approximate time (number of months) involved from step 1 (filing I-130) until parents get green card in hand.

4-6 months for I-130 approval, 3-6 months for further processing and interview (If no delays due to RFE, etc.) for a total window of 7-12 months.

Invite parents on a visitor visa and then file I-130 & I-485 concurrently.
Is this a faster alternative to bringing parents ? Are there any down sides of concurrent filing?

Seeking entry into US with the intention of filing for a green card is in violation of visitor visa conditions.

It should take no more than 6-9 months to get their green cards at a US consulate after I-130 is filed.

Well, from all the discussion on this forum, it appears that it is much simpler to get them a GC than finding ways for them to have consistent income or have a health insurance. That is major problem for all of us, as most insurance companies either wont insure them at all or will charge an arm and leg for a premium with an insurance with minimum monetary benefits.

Now if someone has pre-existing condition then I don't know what can be done in such cases. Lastly, they are NOT eligible for any form of Medicare of any other government sponsored program at least for now.

So we have to carefully evaluate the idea of sponsoring their GC. Does anyone has better solution to the problems I had mentioned?

Invite parents on a visitor visa and then file I-130 & I-485 concurrently.
Is this a faster alternative to bringing parents ? Are there any down sides of concurrent filing?

One can buy a "bridge" insurance for 5 years (until one is eligible to buy into Medicare) but it won't cover any pre-existing conditions. Almost all medical conditions found in elderly is pre-existing in some form or the other. One has to evaluate the health of the parents before deciding to bring them over as immigrants.
Now with the new medical care law, there might be more options to buy medical insurance. In california it is possible to buy into a High Risk insurance pool, costs around $800-1200 per month for 60-64 year olds. Many other states might also have similar arrangements. This covers pre-existing conditions.

Thanks for the info, you seem to be knowledgeable. I will look into the options, thanks again. Any further info you can share would be beneficial.

One can buy a "bridge" insurance for 5 years (until one is eligible to buy into Medicare) but it won't cover any pre-existing conditions. Almost all medical conditions found in elderly is pre-existing in some form or the other. One has to evaluate the health of the parents before deciding to bring them over as immigrants.
Now with the new medical care law, there might be more options to buy medical insurance. In california it is possible to buy into a High Risk insurance pool, costs around $800-1200 per month for 60-64 year olds. Many other states might also have similar arrangements. This covers pre-existing conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching on the internet with "<<Your state>>high risk pool insurance" gives results
For example: found - http://www.nhhealthplan.org/

It shows the following option and I quote directly from the above website (as is):
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"
NHHP-FED is a Federal high risk pool program established by the United States Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to provide access to affordable health coverage for the uninsured, regardless of health condition. It is administered for HHS by New Hampshire Health Plan.
"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried entering 5 zip codes that I had lived in past on www.ehealthinsurance.com website to check their pre-existing condition insurance plans and none of the zip codes gave me any useful result except: We currently do not offer this insurance in your zip code.

I then checked for Critical Illness Insurance and entered details of my one parent and it returned with following result:

The primary applicant should be younger than 65 years.

So I guess there are only few options available for parent below 65 yrs age and perhaps none for over 65yrs. My other concern is even though some of them who are less than 65 may get insured right now. what will they when they reach 65?

I am yet to check state specific/sponsored insurance plans for people with pre-existing conditions. We must remember, almost all of the parent when they reach the old age have some or the other pre-existing condition in their parent county, so this is a BIG issue for them to bring here and survive with such condition.

Green card and tourist visa

Hi,
I am a US citizen and want to apply Green card for my parents in India. They already have a tourist visa for US.

Which scenario is the best:

1. I apply for my parents green card( immigrant visa) while they stay in India. How long will the process take? In the meanwhile , can they travel to US since they already have a tourist visa?

2. I can call them to US on their tourist visa. Wait for 2 months and then apply for their Green card process. I believe this should take 6-8 months. Which insurance should I buy in the meanwhile as they have pre-existing conditions.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Lakshay