Timeline for Expedite service for Passport

hamelionche

Registered Users (C)
Hi there,
I was wondering how long it takes to receive your Passport and Nat. Certificate after you apply at the post office for Expedite service?

Thanks

My advice would be to save some money and ask for routine service. I think routine is taking two weeks or less and you can save quite a bit of money if you are not in a hurry. I would say to expect about a week with expedited. This is not an exact science and might change from passport office to passport office and according to load of applications.

PS: I guess not many people apply for expedited anymore due to how fast the routine service is. I think Nimche did and he's now moping around because the naturalization certificate didn't come back with the passport. I think routine service tends to always send passport and naturalization back in the same envelope, so less stress and worries. I am sure Nimche's certificate will show up, but I know from experience that this is somewhat unnerving.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huracan thanks for your advice. I ask because I have travel plans already, and was wondering is it OK to share them on my Passport application. I notice that one of the last questions is "Do you have travel plans - asking for date ...". And at the poste office they told me that for regular processing waiting time is between 4-6 weeks, for exedite 2-3 weeks (I hope less). I am talking about Chicago.

Huracan thanks for your advice. I ask because I have travel plans already, and was wondering is it OK to share them on my Passport application. I notice that one of the last questions is "Do you have travel plans - asking for date ...". And at the poste office they told me that for regular processing waiting time is between 4-6 weeks, for exedite 2-3 weeks (I hope less). I am talking about Chicago.

Don't pay any attention what the post office clerk was telling becuase he/she doesn't know anything. I will give you an example. When you ask a post office clerk on how long will it take for your mail to make it to Orlando, FL if you mail it from Atlanta, GA, he/she will tell you that first class mail generally takes about a week, may be 7-10 days. In all reality, that's not true. Your letter will make it to Orlando in 2 days and max 3 days. They will just tell you just to be on the safe side. Huracan is right if you apply your passport with a routine service, you can expect it back in 2-3 weeks, but if you have travel plans, you will probably be better off with expedite service.

hamelionche,

I am not sure whether the expected date of travel might have an effect. I would like to think it does, but I am not sure. I think it all depends on how many days/weeks after your oath you have your travel plans. Remember that if you have a ticket or reservation showing that you have a trip within two weeks you can get a same day or one day passport at a passport agency. That beats routine and expedited. I don't know about Chicago, but I think expedited takes about a week. However, keep in mind that the naturalization certificate might probably not come back with the passport but on a separate envelope several days later.

Good luck.