Time Frame

fstrdeb749

Registered Users (C)
Hi..have spent many hours reading this site so thought i might be able to get an answer here...I arrived here in Texas from Canada 06/26/06...Married my husband on 08/12/06...I need to know if there will be a penalty of any kind against us if we dont get into The DORA ..program and file our I-130....I-485..and such paper work before 180 days have expired..We would like to be able to file these in January after the holiday season instead of during this finacially stressed time of year..Would really appreciate an answer if anyone knows ...Thanks for all the great advice i have found on this site...

Hi, there! So you came from Canada on which type of visa? What is your status now? I might be wrong but I don't think at this point whether you file now or a month from now will make such a big difference :confused:

I came in just as always i did on a vacation..i guess you call it just as a visitor..we had planned on a wedding in Dec in Tenn..but changed our plans when my mom passed away july 1st and we realized my family wouldnt be able to do another large fiancial vacation..so just moved it ahead to august and i didnt return afterwards...ty

fstrdeb749 said:
Hi..have spent many hours reading this site so thought i might be able to get an answer here...I arrived here in Texas from Canada 06/26/06...Married my husband on 08/12/06...I need to know if there will be a penalty of any kind against us if we dont get into The DORA ..program and file our I-130....I-485..and such paper work before 180 days have expired..We would like to be able to file these in January after the holiday season instead of during this finacially stressed time of year..Would really appreciate an answer if anyone knows ...Thanks for all the great advice i have found on this site...

Based on the facts above, you should be fine. If you went online now, you would probably only be able to get an appointment in January. Don't stall too long, but you should be OK. Just go online soon and make that appointment --- sometimes one can only get one 1.5 - 2months in advance.
Best wishes.