Time for getting I-140 receipt

asharma

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,
Could someone please let me know the approx time it takes to get the receipt of I-140 from INS? My I-140 has been sent a month ago and the lawyer is not telling me whether he has received the receipt or not. He is giving some lame excuse that it is typical of INS to take so much time. Is this correct? Please any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

A Sharma

My application was sent to VSC at the end of July, and I still haven't received the notice. My lawyer seems to think this is normal, but I am really worried. Anything I can do with it?

Please dont trust lawyers. But your have a right on your file if at all he is your lawyer you can request to see your file when you ga there. But if he is a company lawyer that is different case your are at his mercy. but usually it take less than 14 days to receive a receipt back

I've received receipt notices in a week or so, and I've seen them take 4 months! It all depends on the service center and what is going on at the time. If the check for the filing fee has been cashed the receipt number will be written on the check.

But don't trust me, I'm an attorney.

;)

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the info. Is there a way I can check with the VSC directly about my I-140 status? If yes, what information do I need from my side and where can I find the number to call them. Thanks.

asharma

Just call 802-527-4913, and the representative will ask your name and birthdate. Then you will be able to find out if there is an I-140 petition under your name. You can also get your EAC number. I just called to check my case, and it turned out VSC had sent out a notice a month ago. But neither I or my lawyer has received it. Guess I have to call again and see if they could send me a copy of the notice.

Alan

THanks Alan,
I called up the number but its continuosly engaged. Is there a good time to call that number??

asharma

You can try to call but you will be lack to get an asswer from them because you are not the applicant it is your lawyer or your company that can call. Anyway am not a lawyer but atleast that is what I know. Wish you the best but still you can try you might be lucky.

You are right Zirindaba. I did call up but couldnt get any info because Im not authorized. Only the lawyer or company can get the info. But atleast I came to know that they received my application.