Tijuana experience

rspr

Registered Users (C)
Here is my experience with Tijuana...

Came to border (US Last exit) around 8am. Parked in the near by parking lot for $7. Then walked across to Mexico. No one stopped us, and it was a direct walk to the taxi stand in Mexico.

$10 to the consulate. It is 8:30am. Waited for Banamex to open @ 9AM.

Then went to Consulate. In the line they checked all the papers. Asked us to write N/A or NONE for all the blank spaces in D-156. You can either print D-156 in single side or back-to-back. Had I-94, I-797, copies of I-129, Mark sheets, Passport, D-156, photos, pay stubs, employment letter, last 3 years of returns and W2's, bank statement.

Waited until called (generally they call H1-third country nationals only after completing interviews for Mexicans. However for F1's they gave it right away and H1 guys were out by 10am) for the interview.

Called and asked....
VO: "So you work for <company>?" (<company> is a very big/well known MNC)
ME: "Yes"
VO: Went to get some printout.
VO: Your visa is approved. Pay the fee otherside of the building.

Went to Pizza Hut and had lunch and killed time until 3pm. Back to consulate to collect the passport. By 3:50 we are at the border.

Here started our pain part. It took almost 2+ hours to cross the border due hugh lines. You might want to pay $5 to some guy and get on to the van. They take you directly to the immigration post by bypassing the line/Q.

Immigration officer asked us to change the I-94 (be prepared for this, as every officer is different). We are out after getting the new I-94s.

HTH.

Did you have Valid Stamp?

Hi,

Congrats and Thanks for posting your experience. I am planning on going to Tijuana on June 1st. I got all the documents.

Couple of questions
1. Did you have a valid VISA Stamp when you went to the Post?
My H1 Stamp Expired in April'2006, I got the new extension which is valid till April'2007.

2. How far is the Bank? Can we walk to the place? What information did the bank ask for to issue the Reciept?

Thanks,
Nachi

Hi Nachi,

If u got your new approval before your visa expired you are good to go to the post.

The bank is just 2 buildings away from the consulate. You can just walk and get the receipt. U need ur passport to get the receipt.

Goodluck,
SP79