Three year tns are here!

webtiger

Registered Users (C)
I just got an email from my immigration attorney that the 3 year TN is now available.

<Snip from email:>
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has increased the maximum period of time a Trade-NAFTA (TN) professional worker from Canada or Mexico may remain in the United States before seeking readmission or an extension of stay. This final rule changes the initial period of admission for TN workers from one to three years. This makes TN periods equal to the initial period of admission for H-1B professional workers. Eligible TN nonimmigrants can receive extensions of stay in increments of up to three years instead of the prior maximum one year period.
<End Snip from Email>

For anyone here about to renew via mail or at the border you should change your offer letter to 3 years, 36 months or 1,094 days.
I do not know which of these numbers to use but I'm going with "3 years (1,094 days)" unless we see a specified verbage from USCIS.
I'm so happy I'm actually dancin'! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I just renewed my TN today at border of San Ysidro, Ca. I was asking for 3 yrs TN. But, the officer told me only one year for TN.

"keep me in temp work status forever instead of sponsoring for gc"

Luci makes a great point. TNers have just been devalued even further.

If you think of company's efforts to hire you as a 'date', you just became a whole lot cheaper. Instead of having to buy you lobster to get you in bed, fried chicken will now do the trick -- and for a 3-night stand instead of one night.;)

My employer has just told me the opposite. They now are comfortable going the TN to CG route since TN is good for 3 yrs instead of just 1 yr. More time to get EAD and AP.

Unless you are Eb2, there is litle hope right now of filing I-485 and getting an EAD -- never mind GC -- within three years of submitting I-140.

So, then what? 2 years from now, are they going to hold off submitting I-485 until you get H1?

The 3-yr TN does not make getting GC any easier than it already was.

It simply makes it easier to for the employee and -- more ominously -- the employer stay on TN