This is how it began

july16

Registered Users (C)
June 1991 - 1997 was working in Muscat, Sultanate of Oman, as a Senior Executive Travel.

Dec 1996, I had a Vacation due and a Free Business Class Ticket from Air India, and my Brother was always on my case to Visit them, So I thought what the heck.

Brother insisted that I Forward my Resume to all major Airlines and Travel Agencies, got called for quite a few Interviews, but every one of them wanted a GC holder, even had a Job Offer from The UN, but alas no GC, so they said Sorry, eventually found one who was willing to do a H1 for me, Negotiated salary, signed forms applied for H1 and went back to Muscat.

H1 was approved on 18 Mar 1997, Lawyer sent me the Package of documents to Muscat, for Visa Stamping at Bombay, received Package end March, April 01 1997 Resigned with 30 day Notice. Started disposing of stuff I had accumulated over the years, made a Deal on my Toyota Corolla, where I could use it till the last day.

May 02 1997 Bid Good Bye to Muscat, arrived Bombay, relaxed for a few days, then went to the American consulate to get my H1 and my wife and kids H4 stamped, Lawyer had done a real good job, Affidavit of support for Family, Original approval Notice, Employment letter, American Equivalent Credits of my Indian Degrees, etc etc everything was sent to me, Had no problems at all, got all 4 passports Stamped.

June 03 1997 Came back to NY Alone, joined Employment, Brother again Insisted I stay with him, But I insisted on renting a small basement in Fresh Meadows, Kids were now schooling in Bombay.

April 06 1998 Summer Vacation in school starts, April 07 1998, wife and kids and my parents (B2 Visa) arrive in NY, by this time had managed to Rent a Apartment.

Nov 1999 found a company willing to sponsor my GC.

Nov 15 1999 applied for LC, had 2 RFE's.

First for (Certification of code of Federal regulations, part 656) God knows what it meant, but Lawyer took care of it.

Second was for Financial Status of Company sponsoring me.

In the mean time H1 was nearing Expiry on Mar 01 2000, and Company was not willing to renew. Applied for B2 Twice once in Mar 2000 and then again in Sep 2000, second B2 was valid till Mar 01 2001.

LC was approved on Jul 22 2000.

Dec 2000 Life Act was Passed, Hence Lawyer advised, even if now I become out of Status, less than 180 days no problem, more that 180 days $1000.00 penalty

Aug 27 2000 Applied for I 140, again 2 RFE's

First asking My Bank statements for last 6 months

Second was regarding Companies Tax Returns.

I 140 Approved on Apr 16 2001, but unfortunately dates were not current.

Then Jul 2001 all dates became current.

July 16 2001 applied for AOS, and EAD

As it was less than 180 days between Mar 01 2001 and Jul 16 2001 (Out of Status period) lawyer advised no need to pay $1000.00, but then I was still working, and actually should have paid the Penalty, (First time Lawyer Screws up, by the way same Lawyer since H1 days.)

Received EAD on Sep 14 2001 for self and Family, same day applied for SSN for wife and Kids, received SS cards in pproximately 2 weeks time, for wife and elder son, but no SS card for the Younger one, waited a whole 2 months and went back to SS office and was advised there was no application for him, Applied again and this time received the younger ones SS card in 2 weeks.

In the mean time as soon as I received my I 485 receipt and EAD, we brought a Beautiful Town House in Edison NJ, (No sense in Flushing money down the drain in rent, I know people who have been here for scores of years and still rent, not me though), was tough though getting a Mortgage, No credit and all, had to go for a 20% down no document check loan, (Ex boss, brother, and a very good Friend helped). Parents staying with me have their own room; kids have their own room, Wife as wives go only concerned with Jewellery.

Also in Sep 2001 Started Our Partnership business, again with the above mentioned Good Friend, Started with a Bang, Sep 11 2001 did not help, but now am doing Ok.

The waiting Game now begins; a year passes, well almost just 1 day before the anniversary.

Jul 15 2002 Heard AVM Intent to deny notice mailed on Jul 12 2002.

Jul 19 2002 Received NOID (Requesting I485A and 1000.00 each for anyone over 17)

Jul 19 2002 Applied for EAD renewal.

Jul 26 2002 Sent I485A and 2 cks for 1000.00 (Self and Spouse)

Aug 05 2002 received new EAD card valid till Sep 19 2003.

Aug 07 2002 AVM changed Fees received and processing resumed

Aug 13 2002 Checked Online Banking and discovered checks for self and wife encashed

Aug 27 2002 at 7am AVM still says processing resumed

Aug 27 2002 talked to an IIO and was informed that on Aug 23 2002 my case was transferred to Newark/Teterboro office, and that a notice to that effect has been mailed to me.

Sep 16 2002 Received Interview Appointment letter from Newark, Interview scheduled for Oct 18 2002.

Documents for myself Passport, I 94 if any and current letter of employment.

Documents For spouse and kids, passport and I 94 if any.

Oct 18 2002 Reached Newark Federal Building loaded with Three 1 Inch files loaded with every document you can name, H1, LC, I 140, EAD, I 485, Renewed EAD, Passports, Adit Pics, Bank Statements, Tax Returns, Pics of me and Family, in our house, at camping, at the Niagara Falls (American Side), Parents GC (By now they have received GC sponsored by my Brother, who is a Citizen), birth certificates, Marriage Certificate, Copies of Medical (Green Copy which is our copy), Finger Printing Notices, Social Security Cards, Pay stubs for last 6 weeks (From Company Sponsoring my GC), copies of all the Checks I wrote to INS (Banks
Check Cleared Copies too).

Last but not the least, all I 94's (H1, B2 and 2nd B2), appointment Notices for all four of us, and Employment Letter.

Officer Mr. Meth took FP (Fore finger Right hand) for me and wife, offered us a wet tissue to clean our fingers, led us into his office, Had us take the Oath, detached the H1 I 94's from all our passports, stamped all the passports and handed each passport to the respective Passport holder, did not ask about the other I 94's, did not ask for Pics, did not ask for EAD's did not even ask for the Employment Letter, remarked that concludes our business, stood up and shook hands with us all.

My take on this is, when a Case is Transferred It is Pre assigned to an Officer, who studies the files and cases, (He had 1 inch thick files on each of us) and has already decided what his decision is, the Interview is just a Formality (Now you tell me)

the actual stamp reads

10/18/2002
PROCESSED FOR I - 551
TEMPORARY EVIDENCE OF
LAWFUL ADMISSION FOR
PERMANENT RESIDENCE
VALID UNTIL 10/17/2003
EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZED
A#951XXXXX
E-36 AT NEW (For self) E-39 AT NEW (For Spouse) and E-30 AT NEW (for kids)
Signed by Officer

How was your 1st weekend with GC in your hand, what plans do you have for future ?

How was your 1st weekend with GC in your hand, what plans do you have for future ?

that was good

by the way, r u in travel business, if yes, provide ur business nos; I need to travel soon :) .

july 16 - where were you in Muscat

I was with P&G (KHIMJI RAMDAS) During that time.

Mankap

1LongWait, ms001 & mankap

1LongWait

Tiring, Got Drunk on Friday, went to bed at about 4pm and woke up next morning with a Huge Hangover. But Tensionless.

ms001

Yes I am in the Travel Business, but unfortunately do not do International, Only do Corporate Last Minute Domestic Travel.

mankap

I was with NTT (Bahwans Group of Companies).

Why Transfer after RFE

July16:

Could you think of any reason, why they didn't transfer your case at first place, but issue RFE first. Is there any document you didn't submit during the RFE response which casue later transfer. Since this procdeure can waist a lot of time. I am one of RFE victim.

Congratulations July 16!!!

I haven't been coming to the portal for a while so didn't know that you rec'd your GC. Came here just to check about your interview. I'm so happy for you. Congratulations and all the best for your new life ahead.

Aryana.

july16,

what a journey! I only knew you had to pay $2000 fine... now l know what you have been through with your status for the past 5 years... and it is even more wonderful to see that you have your own business...

your kids will so be proud of you.

do stay on the board please.

Re: Why Transfer after RFE

Originally posted by 52000
July16:

Could you think of any reason, why they didn't transfer your case at first place, but issue RFE first. Is there any document you didn't submit during the RFE response which casue later transfer. Since this procdeure can waist a lot of time. I am one of RFE victim.

In fact I got a NOID (Notice of Intent to Deny) and was asked to pay 1000.00 for each person above 17 years of age, and also to file I 485A, which I did.

Inspite of which my case was transfered to Newark, but if you read my other posting, you must have realised, the Interview was very smooth.

So dont worry too much, Newark is taking between 45 to 60 days to schedule an Interview. And its just a Formality.

Wish you all the best

Congrats July16

I am glad you got a happy ending.
This feel like Travel friendship in a long distance train journey.
Guys got thier approval slowly disappearing for this forum.

Interesting!

July 16,

Your journey for your GC has very anxious moments as well as perseverance on your part. You went thru all kinds of road blocks, yet you got what you wanted at the end. Best wishes and Good Luck for the future.

Danj

July 16

Great story and a happy ending.

FYI I worked in Al Hassan Contracting in Muscat between 1992 and 1995

sanjay

July16

Was Mr. Meth an old man?? I think he was the same one for your interview. He followed almost the same steps with us.

Yeah I agree with you that they have taken a decision on the case and the interview is just a formality.

What part of bombay are u from?? I am from Andheri.

nagsp

July 16

Congrates Man!!!!!!! What a journey!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you provide me your lawyer's name??? You mentioned that your lawyer did really a good job through out the process.

Thanks and regards

jsj

Originally posted by nagsp
July16

Was Mr. Meth an old man?? I think he was the same one for your interview. He followed almost the same steps with us.

Yeah I agree with you that they have taken a decision on the case and the interview is just a formality.

What part of bombay are u from?? I am from Andheri.

nagsp

Old Bald man with a Thick Gold Braclet on his right wrist, and soda bottle bottom glasses.

Born and brought up at Byculla, moved to Bhyander West in 1990.

Re: July 16

Originally posted by jsj123
Congrates Man!!!!!!! What a journey!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you provide me your lawyer's name??? You mentioned that your lawyer did really a good job through out the process.

Thanks and regards

jsj

jsj123

Neil A Weinrib & Associates.
Tel 212-964-9282
Fax 212-964-9525
Address
305 Broadway, Suite # 1002,
New York, NY - 10007.

He charges an Initial $ 100.00 Consultation fees, which if you give him your case, is adjusted towards his fees, if you dont go with him, that fee is non refundable.

congrats, July16!

didn't visit this page for a couple of days. didn't realize you got approved.

do you still wish you were a kid? ;)

July16,

What a GC journey! Congratulations that you finally free. Good luck to your family and your bussiness. Now you can fly as high as you want.

Best wish!