Things to Do After EAD

kiranmath

Registered Users (C)
I had a few questions reagarding EAD.

1> When does EAD become effective.
Is it when they post it on-line or when we actually receive the card.

2> What forms, one has to fill and return to INS -- to state that we are using EAD.

3> Do we have inform the employer that I am now switched from H1B to EAD.

Thanks
KM

The date on EAD card will be the same as the approval date.
You can tell the employer, but the difference is in what would be the best thing to do: depending on whether you are goiing to work on EAD or continue to work on H1. If you use EAD for work, you lose your H1 status. If you continue working on H1, having EAD is OK (no change in status). Many people keep H1 status as a backup in case I-140 does not get approved.

EAD as back up

I will be xtending my H1B for next 4 months ( thats to complete my six years) and then for next one Year ( 7th year).
I will be using EAD as back up.

But I had a question regarding this.

What happens if I really run into problems with I-140 or I-485?
I understand that I will continue to work on H1B.. but whats next, can I apply for I-140 and I-485 again or the whole things becomes closed case and I have start from labor all over again.

Thanks
KM

Why should you run into problems? Think positive - however, if you feel it is going to be the worst case scenario you should of course consult a lawyer asap.

Ead

Yes, I guess thinking Positive is only the way.

Hmm I asked my lawyer the same question -- he does says "Don't worry, it will won't be rejected, but I advice you to go for 7th year extension".

Good lawyer-managed to doge the question.

KM