Things have worked out - finally!!

rahulddesai

Registered Users (C)
Hello all,

I have received some great help from this forum and wanted to give everyone an update on our case.

Here is a snapshot of my journey:

I am a citizen of India. I came to US in August 2002 on Student Visa (F1). My wife was a permanent resident of US at that time (also an Indian Citizen). I applied for Permanent Residency in December 2003. In February 2005, I got my H1B from my employer. In March 2006, my wife filed for citizenship. Her case got stuck in the FBI Name Check - for over 2 years. Finally, in May 2008 she got a notice for second Finger Prints and in July 2008 she became a US Citizen.

My case for permanent residency based on her permanent residency also became current almost at the same time and I started receiving correspondence from NVC. Since she was a USC now and I was already here, I opted for my interview in US. I filed I-485 and I-765 with all the other paper-work. Got finger-printed quickly, got my EAD in November.

I got called for interview in January 2009. It was a pretty straightforward AOS interview - took 7-10 minutes. No unusual questions. The officer said in the end that he was satisfied with all the paper-work and proof and that he approved our case. He mentioned that I would receive a welcome letter soon and then the green-card in 2-3 weeks. He also took my EAD card.
Within a week (Feb 6th - I think), I got a welcome notice saying that I was approved for permanent residency and would receive my Green Card within 30 days. I got another welcome notice (the exact same one) on February 10th as well - saying the same thing.

I am still waiting for my Green Card. I am really happy that after 5 years of a long and stressful journey, I will finally get my green-card.

I have checked the online status and it's not updated. I had one question though - they took my EAD and I still don't have my Green Card. So what is my existing status till I receive my Green-Card. Does the welcome notice serve as a temporary proof? I have a new job starting this Monday - is there any problem with that?

Thank you all of you once again.

- Rahul

The welcome letter proves you are a permanent resident. However for the purposes of filling an I-9, that does not count. At your new job, you should check mark the option stating that you are a permanent resident and provide them with your A#. You then have 30 days to provide them proof. Hopefully your plastic GC will be mailed to you by then.

I have checked the online status and it's not updated. I had one question though - they took my EAD and I still don't have my Green Card. So what is my existing status till I receive my Green-Card. Does the welcome notice serve as a temporary proof? I have a new job starting this Monday - is there any problem with that?