They think they are doing a favor by giving GC!

if they do not, why did you apply for GC?
for fun?
They do us a favour. Actually if I were them
I would't give away GC to just anybody like
in visa lotery. But they are stupid.

GC is not a right and may not remain a privilege for long if going by current trends.

Definitely, no one is doing a favor by giving a GC. And everybody knows that to sustain as a economic super power, America most probably needs the help of immigrants. For us we need Green card to improve our standards of life and hence it is a win-win situation.

-rajum

Did they do Albert Einstein or Enrico Fermi a favor by granting them GCs ? Or was it the other way around?

Our contributions, however small, still works on the same logic. We bring skills to the table that big businesses (and the economy)need for growth.

No one is doing anyone a favor. We earn the GC, liberty, higher standard of living, etc.. In return they get our contribution to science, economy, art, civilization, etc..

We all should be proud of what we are and where we come from.

i agree to wella message. NO ONE is doing a favor , all of us exchange our knowledge/skill/contribution with someelement.

America is just a club , to join you need to pay a high value. thats all.

They do not give GC, if they have thought that it's not worth even one cent. They are not some kind of idiots.

Nobody give a damn if they didn't see any sort of advantage. It's all pure business. Everything is driven by necessity. No morals and no principles. They give some and they get some.

But the fact is that we have choosen to immigrate to US.

We had a choice to immigrate to other countries like Canada, Australia etc. but we made a decision to immigrate to US as this country is better than others.

We are asking US to give us GCs.

US surely has a policy to issue GCs but it is not asking us (specific individuals) to immigrate to this country. If not us they will find someone else from the same country or from some other country. US has the money and is providing opportunity to work and immigrate.

Finally as someone said "Beggers can't be choosers"

Originally posted by pingpong02
But the fact is that we have choosen to immigrate to US.

We had a choice to immigrate to other countries like Canada, Australia etc. but we made a decision to immigrate to US as this country is better than others.

We are asking US to give us GCs.

US surely has a policy to issue GCs but it is not asking us (specific individuals) to immigrate to this country. If not us they will find someone else from the same country or from some other country. US has the money and is providing opportunity to work and immigrate.

Finally as someone said "Beggers can't be choosers"

Well said about beggars but it is a sad reality that we have pledged our dignity.

I feel it is defintely not a favor or a privilege as they would not be what they are now without immigrants.

Remember guys that this is land of immigrants and other than the aborigins every one else is an immigrant in one form or the other.

Just my 2c.

This was a funny thread

They dont have to give you a GC. It doesnt matter how good you are, the world can function perfectly without you. Look at your own compay.. if you leave... it will still function. No one is indispensible.

We are here because we want to be here and not because they rolled the red carpet.

They are doing us a big favor! If you didnt like the way they treat you, you can always go back. No one is pleading for you to stay.

Patience is a virtue

I probably wouldn't be here, begging for a GC, if my country had the same opportunities as here. And my country doesn't have it just because US and other rich nations spoil poor coutries like mine.

I'm not telling US and others are wrong or not... Because that's part of the human nature... That's how the civilization evolves (unfortunately).

I just want my share back! Ok, I have to pay a small price to get into the 'club' as pointed out 'mjagannt'. But I think it's a fair trade (if it was free of charge, it whould be a crowd and not good anymore).

Can you imagine the first pilgrims? They had to pay with their lives to stay here... We are just paying with boringness...

Come on! They do not ask much: a good education, some skills and a lot of patience.... :)

Let us assume that US Congress pass a law banning legal immigration from India(for that matter Asia) . Then, Do you think that they can do business in India(or Asia). So GC is just like throwing bones to the dogs and they get flesh by selling junks in those countries and also using cheap labor for manufacturing their products in those countries.

It is actually sort of demand - supply issue. There are lot of folks (supply) who would do a lot to immigrate here.
Any country to become/remain great needs people who can work hard and smart (most of the times :) ). That is what immigrants bring them.
Since the demand is not as much as supply, it starts to seem they are doing a favour.
They are not doing a charity by bringing folks here (H1, GC whatever) on job related visas (asylum etc is different issue).
Congress allows this because industry needs it.
There would not be much high tech industry here without all the immigrants and probably US would not be top country..
Now other countries are also trying to woo nice folks (read technical ) after probably getting the idea from US and also due to aging population..

I have a hard time thinking about the fact that everyone has to pay towards social security irrespective of the fact whether he is granted a GC or not. If he is made to leave the country due to a GC denial, should he not be able to carry the money he invested ??

Plain and simple : "Live with it or deal with it". The choice is for us to make.

Originally posted by Edison
Let us assume that US Congress pass a law banning legal immigration from India(for that matter Asia) . Then, Do you think that they can do business in India(or Asia). So GC is just like throwing bones to the dogs and they get flesh by selling junks in those countries and also using cheap labor for manufacturing their products in those countries.

Originally posted by sai-2367
I have a hard time thinking about the fact that everyone has to pay towards social security irrespective of the fact whether he is granted a GC or not. If he is made to leave the country due to a GC denial, should he not be able to carry the money he invested ??

Plain and simple : "Live with it or deal with it". The choice is for us to make.

Sai,

I believe there is more to it than that. Very vague recollection is as follows:

This problem results from a law which assumes that every country has a comparable social security program. So, for the citizens belonging to countries with such a program (comparable one that is), it allows the accumulated amount to be transferred to their country's system.

What I am not sure of is, if the transfer applies only to the amount accumulated in the case where the worker has paid 40 quarters worth of social security. In other words, will a citizen of such a country whose GC application has been denied, be allowed to transfer the amount paid by him/her towards social security?

Apparently, it is because India doesn't have a treaty of some sort, with the US, that we lose the paid soc. security when one moves back to India.

Agreed. But it was USA that did not sign such a treaty with India, since it did not believe in the Indian retirement system. Vajpayee tried to sort it out with his American counterparts but did not succeed.
And you do raise a good question about whether someone who has 40 quarters (worked here for 10 years) can take back the money or not. Anyone know of this ???
Originally posted by PalaniappanRajaram
Sai,

I believe there is more to it than that. Very vague recollection is as follows:

This problem results from a law which assumes that every country has a comparable social security program. So, for the citizens belonging to countries with such a program (comparable one that is), it allows the accumulated amount to be transferred to their country's system.

What I am not sure of is, if the transfer applies only to the amount accumulated in the case where the worker has paid 40 quarters worth of social security. In other words, will a citizen of such a country whose GC application has been denied, be allowed to transfer the amount paid by him/her towards social security?

Apparently, it is because India doesn't have a treaty of some sort, with the US, that we lose the paid soc. security when one moves back to India.

Last edited by a moderator: