These laywers sux..

Moulin Rouge

Registered Users (C)
I\'m just trying to get an estimate of the amount of time it took you from an LC approval (or Hard Copy receipt) to an 140 filing.. My lawyer took 4 weeks and I think its inexcusable !! How about you ?

same thing happened to me.

Company hires out-of-state lawyer (reason: it\'s cheaper.)

1 month for him to file my I140
1 month for him to file my I485
3 weeks for him to file my H1 ext.

No Title

Unfortunately, this is norm. Genereally, you can consider yourself lucky if they do not take more time.

It is understandable if he has many clients.

HR dept told me that the lawyer didn\'t have many clients. It\'s a small firm (1 lawyer, 1 paralegal) He didn\'t file it right away even though he has all the documents. I didn\'t know what he was doing because he didn\'t like to be questioned. I pray to God that everything goes smoothly.

One month is a long time for an I-140

An I-140 is relatively simple (easier than an H-1) to file as long as all the douments are complete and the LC was properly filed. I could do an I-140 in a day if I wanted to and it would take a week, at most, once I got all the documents. If there are delays in getting documents or other very unexpected problems that\'s a different situation. If the lawyer\'s office is so overworked that it takes a month to complete a simple form, the attorney should hire more (or more competent) staff.

Jim

James D. Mills
(formerly Jim M)
Attorney at Law
jdmills@justice.com
732-644-5702

Jim, You are one of few!

I wish there were more lawyers like you who care and work competently and well!

Thanks Marta!

I do my best. It amazes me how many mistakes get made. Everybody makes them sometimes but many of the mistakes here are inexcusable.

Jim

James D. Mills
(formerly Jim M)
Attorney at Law
jdmills@justice.com
732-644-5702

No Title

Marta,
I deeply appreciate your views being a attorney.

Mistakes are part and parcel of life and a human being is prone to do one. But the problem comes when the attorneys does not have sufficient system in place to avoid mistakes and the worst of it is one does not want to learn from the mistakes. My attorney comes under that category and I have not seen a single approval without RFE or without some screwup.

My lawyer is the same

My lawyer made the mistake and cost me waiting for a long time.
My case filed on AUGUST 2001 and still no information yet. I told my lawyer VSC could misplaced my files but she didn\'t listen to me and keep saying VSC is processing my file. And I asked how did she know,
SHe said she is a lawyer and knows everthing. She just doesn\'t want
to call VSC. What a bad service ? I paid several thousands buck for this service. Man, you are dead if you have this kind of lawyer.

All lawyer are the same unless

you would hire him/her on a regular basis. Nobody, after getting GC, is going back to their attorney for more business. It\'s just one time thing.

Second, if the lawyer if hired by the company - then remember whom he is working for, not you, but your employer - they don\'t have to make your happy only your employer in this situation. Too sad...