The VSC Walk-In Experience

Feb-O-Two

Registered Users (C)
So myself (applicant) and my husband did the walk-in at St. Albans last week (a few days before the window was scheduled to close permanently) after reading this thread (http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?p=893023#post893023) as we were at our wits end.
Our RD is 2/13/2002, well past the current processing times. The people there, as reported earlier in the aforementioned thread, were pleasant, but have absolutely NO perspective on what the GC process does to applicants' lives. They think it is just some paperwork that they will get to eventually.

This is what happened:

It was a very rainy morning, we had driven 8 hrs straight. You almost are at the Canadian border. Welden lane is very unassuming, the building non-descript. The guards checked the car (we had bicycles, etc as we combined the trip with a holiday) and after a brief check, we went in. The walk-in window women were friendly. We presented our IDs and receipts and asked why our cases are not being processed despite the published dates having passed. We have done senator requests multiple times, ombudsman emails, etc. but to no avail..having received the standard 30-day answer, and after the said 30 days have passed we have contacted them again, only to receive 30 day responses again... they have no meaning.

So she checked the computer and said that our case is all set and has been placed on an officer's desk for adjudication since April of 2004! She said all checks (2 FPs, name check, etc) have been cleared and now all that has to be done is for the officer to get to it. So we asked how long that would be, she saidd it depends on the type of cases the officer has before us! If the cases before us on his desk are simple, it will take less time to get to ours, if the cases before us are complicated, he will take longer to get to ours (talk about a redundant answer!!). We said well, but we have been waiting for so long and their own published dates are well past ours and she said that there is nothing that can be done as it has already been "pulled from the shelf and assigned to an officer". She also said that if it was still "on the shelf" or if it was pending some checks she cld have done something, but since all checks are cleared and it is already on an officer's desk, there is nothing she can do. So we asked if we could speak to the adjudicating officer and she said no. We tried to politely insist, but she checked the office's phone book to see who the officer is and then consulted with another man sitting near the window and said that the person who has our case is in fact an officer who handles "these type of 485s" so it is with the correct type of officer, but we cannot meet him. So that was that. She finally said, and i quote, "dont worry, he will get to it EVENTUALLY and let you know if he needs anything more"!!!!!!!

EVENTUALLY! HAH! they have NO idea! So thats it, we know now that it is with an officer (and the right kind of officer!!) and he will get to it EVENTUALLY, but thats it.

And then we left and went to main street St.Albans to get breakfast. It is a rural town like any other, politically very liberal (went to some of the bookstores - very liberal/left books, which suited us fine!). The trip was not super helpful, but for us was somewhat satisfying to know that the place exists, the people are human and it is an office like any other (while we were there we saw a cube next to the walk-in window that had a sign on it saying "expidite requests" and a fax machine in it - so we guessed that was the expidite request cube!!). The people who work there have a totally different perspective of our cases - to them it is just some paperwork that they will get to EVENTUALLY... they dont have the perspective that we do, and understandably so, of the effect that the GC process, the uncertainties, the restrictions and the obligations it creates in people's lives.

So for us it removed the mystery and was a pleasant enough drive. So, having done everything in our power, the wait continues as we have applied for our fourth APs and EADs ....lets see if that triggers anything. If not anything else, this whole process has been one long lesson in patience and enduring resolve.

===========
RD: 2/13/2002
2nd FP: March 2004
Applied for 4th EAD, AP
No RFEs to date
Several Senator enquiries, USCIS enquiries, ombudsman emails of no help; generic 30 day responses.

Oh, it is really a sad state.

Hopefully you approval will come in following weeks. Wishing you the very best.

Yes this is a very sad story. I wish you guys very good luck.. You will get your approval very soon.

poor guy

my case is even worse... I have RD Oct/2001. Tried all I could, none helped so far.

Hi Feb-O-Two,

I think I was at the VSC office when you and your husband showed up. I know this because I saw the bi-cycles behind the car .I also overheard your conversation with the receptionist and I remember she said your case was with an officer and that's the best place where it can be.And there was an attorney from CT who checked status of atleast 25 cases while I was waiting ( 2 hrs).It was last Monday (30th Aug).

Do you agree ?

My drive (from Boston)was not that useful too.The receptionist told me to wait . As I was waiting I saw a couple of people came (including you guys).After waiting for 2 hrs she told me that my case is on hold and USCIS has requested some info from some agency ( she didn't disclose).Only info I came to know is that my security checks are done.I liked the sincere effort of both the receptionists.

Yep, that was us. Not sure how sincere her effort was but as I said before, she said that our case was "pulled from the shelf and assigned to an officer in April 04" and that they would "get to it EVENTUALLY!". They had no idea or perspective of anything else.
oh well, wish you good luck and hopefully whatever agency will respond soon!

probably a lawsuit is an answer?

Well, It is disappointing for all. I plan to visit diustrict office.
Probably all of must consider a lawsuit for this.

RD 02/08/2002

skt02118 said:
Well, It is disappointing for all. I plan to visit diustrict office.
Probably all of must consider a lawsuit for this.

RD 02/08/2002

Are U guys sure that your 140s are approved directly for 485 ?
OR,
140 is approved for CP( mistakenly :mad: ) and when you applied for 485, the files got transfered from NVC to VSC. My case is like this

Do you think - when vsc is saying they are waiting for reply from "other agency" - will that agency be from India ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everybody for these posts which saved me 8 hours of driving to VSC which appears to be a futile effort. Obviously, luck is a big part of this process. Those lucky enough to be assigned to a diligence officer (and lucky enough to clear FP, name check or whatever hurdles he or she has to jump over quickly) will get approved sooner, even by more than a year or so (a friend of mine from NJ has a similar RD date as mine and was approved in August of 2003). Those who are not so lucky can only pray for a better luck. Other than gross neglicence or dereliction, there is no logical explanation to such ramdom processing. UCCIS needs to step up internal supervision over the performance of its adjudiating officers.

Cole,

Do you think GC apporoval has to do something with Special Registration Country. I am from one of them and thinking it might be the reason. That's all icoud think of abt my GC pending. How abt u?

Last Update Changed!

Today my last update date changed to today's date! We were excited, but all thats changed is that the status now reads:

"On September 7, 2004, we responded to your request for more information concerning your case. If you have not received our response within 30 days from this date, please call customer service at 1-800-375-5283."

So the status was updated becuase they told us about the status!! Quite recursively funny.

We dont think this has anything to do with the walk-up as we did that on Aug 30th not Sept 7th. We did receive an email from the Ombudsman responding to the email we had sent him a few months back. Maybe it was a response to that? I am sceptical that this will trigger something as all they said was that they provided a status update but keeping fingers x-ed that something more will happen soon!

i guess i was the first one there on 8-30-04, i requested that my case be expedited and few week later got a response that my case meets that criteria but my LUD has not even changed. Except my h1 (7th year approved which according to the lawyer should not have been approved) this he told me after i paid the legal fee. My EAD got renwed after 4 months also yesterday. But i guess they dont wat to touch our I485 for some other reason which I cannot guess.

I also requested to expedite my case when I drove to VSC on 8/30 but I got a denial letter after a week.
I got my 4th EAD approved from MSC . MSC officially is processing Feb '04 cases. But my case (of June'04) surprisingly got approved 2 weeks back along with AP which I filed at the same time.
About my I-485 Congressman's office called VSC recently but the reply they got was nothing new to me. I also contacted Senator's office a month back. My attorney is trying thru AILA VSC Liaison.I guess I am not leaving any option open.

anupb said:
I also requested to expedite my case when I drove to VSC on 8/30 but I got a denial letter after a week.
I got my 4th EAD approved from MSC . MSC officially is processing Feb '04 cases. But my case (of June'04) surprisingly got approved 2 weeks back along with AP which I filed at the same time.
About my I-485 Congressman's office called VSC recently but the reply they got was nothing new to me. I also contacted Senator's office a month back. My attorney is trying thru AILA VSC Liaison.I guess I am not leaving any option open.
I guess this Expedite Request is all eye wash. I sent 2 such requests, first one wait 30 to 60 days. Second handwritten at the bottom of the letter -- wait 45 days cases with an officer and very close to a decision. Intrestingly LUD hasn't changed even after getting their response to expedite fax #2.

Hi Bunchofquestion,

I requested the expedite request. They told you are not eligible for expedite request. Do we need to send the different format or the fax number is different.

RD-01/24/2002
ND-02/06/2002
FP2- 04/05/2004
FBI Name Check Done-09/01/2004.
AD-???????????

jaiganesh2004 said:
Hi Bunchofquestion,

I requested the expedite request. They told you are not eligible for expedite request. Do we need to send the different format or the fax number is different.

RD-01/24/2002
ND-02/06/2002
FP2- 04/05/2004
FBI Name Check Done-09/01/2004.
AD-???????????
You are not eligible for expedite request in spite of your RD being Jan 02? Thats insane, they must be out of their minds. Don't give up. Try sending again. Dont forget to quote that as of today they are processing Sep 02 cases as mentioned in their web site and yours with a RD of Jan 02. Thats all I did.