• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

The trouble with Dv and student Visas.

darkhorse

I think i am in so much trouble, can anyone of you help me please. I am 18 years old, just finished high school and i am from Nepal. CN 200900028XXX.
I submitted forms DS 230 and DS 122.
I am going to apply for a student visa next year and i am already on the DOS records showing immigrant intent. The trouble is my case no is so high, i dont dont think i have a chance of getting a green card.
And then maybe ill never even get a student visa.
I dont know what to do.
Should i call the KCC and ask them to withdraw my forms(is that possible???)
And is it like i am forver banned from entering the USA.
if my student visa for my bachelors gets rejected can i get a visa for my masters.
brothers, please help me..

hi

dont worry. The green card visa does not affect your student visa. If you are issued with student visa, just take it and when your case becomes current, assuming you are in america, you may chose to pursue for the green card or not. If they fail to issue the student visa, you can still rely on your green card. dont panic.

No i am not in America, Im in Nepal. But the student visa application form(DS 156) does ask that have you ever filed for an immigrant visa and in my case the correct answer is yes. That shows that i have "immigrant intent" so i think i will have a real hard time getting a student visa. But even more importantly i will be applying for a NIV when i am an IV applicant. I dont know whether that is even allowed.

Your chance of getting a DV visa may not be as bad as it may seem. Case numbers seem to have been assigned this year in such a way that many numbers are skipped. Take a look at the results for DV 2009. When you add up the total number of winners for asian countries, that comes to 14,002. That is less than the number of Asian country lottery winners for DV2008. Now the maximum number we've come across for DV2008 in this forum is around 17xxx. Yet for DV2009, the maximum case numbers seem to have gone much higher. The only explanation I can think of is that more numbers were skipped for DV2009. So your number may not be as high as it seems.
With roughly the same number of winners, for DV2008, Asia becomes current this August. Hopefully the same will happen in 2009. You will be much better off taking your chances with DV than withdrawing the DV applications and going for a student visa.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your chance of getting a DV visa may not be as bad as it may seem. Case numbers seem to have been assigned this year in such a way that many numbers are skipped. Take a look at the results for DV 2009. When you add up the total number of winners for asian countries, that comes to 14,002. That is less than the number of Asian country lottery winners for DV2008. Now the maximum number we've come across for DV2008 in this forum is around 17xxx. Yet for DV2009, the maximum case numbers seem to have gone much higher. The only explanation I can think of is that more numbers were skipped for DV2009. So your number may not be as high as it seems.
With roughly the same number of winners, for DV2008, Asia becomes current this August. Hopefully the same will happen in 2009. You will be much better off taking your chances with DV than withdrawing the DV applications and going for a student visa.

I have to say this new CN numbering system is very confusing. Have they just issued CN totally randomly across regions? Or for example are they assigned in ranges, 1-15000 for EU 16,000-40,000 AF 41,000 60,000 and so on. ???
What do people think?
If they are all assigned randomly across all regions then how are they going manage the visa numbers per region?
It all seems very strange to me. I look forward to seeing the first DV2009 related visa bulletin to see how they are going to do it this year.

Honestly, it is hard to help you here my friend. It is something you need to decide on your own. If I remember right, for the past three years (2008/2007/2006) Asia went current before the deadline. So chances were....you would have gotten the GC the past three years. However, like you know yourself...if your number never becomes current you are taken a risk.

Do you have an interview scheduled for the F-1 interview already? How high is your case number?

No, but it'll probably take place in June/July 09. I'll try to find some humor in this sad situation: lets say that i apply for a student visa and i get Mr. X for the interview and he rejects me. And asia goes current thereafter, and i get my appointment : what if it is him again??
MY CN : 2009AS00028XXX

Think positive. It is not a sad situation! You have the chance to get the GC. Your F-1 interview is not going to be until a year from now? At least you should have a pretty good idea by July 2009 whether or not your number will be current. I don't know if you can retract your GC lottery application then (if you anticipate a year from now that your number will never become current), so the KCC won't send your file to the embassy. However, they might use the same databases anyhow. Then again...I don't know what the legality of it all is: does merely applying (and winning) the GC lottery show immigration intent, or do you actually have to show up for the interview to show immigration intent. I am not sure, sorry....maybe somebody else can shed light on it!

One thing everyone should know : highest cn for asia 08 was 18XXX and for 09 is 42XXX.

How do you folks know this numbers anyway? I have never seen them published anywhere. :rolleyes:
A citation would be highly appreciated. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, the no 18XXX for 08, i dont know , ive just heard, i cannot confirm it,. but the no 42XXX for 09 ive seen with my own eyes, and then i guess youll just have to trust me..

You can try to apply for a student visa even though you have the DV. At the interview, just say that you plan to immigrate only if it is possible legally.... Just a thought

The case numbers are not published, only reported on forums

The problem with that is that if you show immigration intent, there is a possibility that they won't issue you an F-1 visa (since you have to give them a written statement that you will return to your home country after you are done studying).

Indeed, the study visa may be rejected because of immigrant intent.
However, the officer may grant it if s/he feels like it. For example, if you have loads of money and are going to a top university, they won't decline your study visa, for sure!

i thought i was ineligible forever... and even if i am granted a visa i may be denied entery at the POE ...that would be pathetic..

Ok i emailed the embassy in kathmandu and altough it did take a few days : they did reply and said that yes i could apply for a student visa nd that i had to have good grades and i better have a good explanation at the interview