• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

The Journey Starts

Momo are u there bro ? well actually DMV of philly told me that i will need to start from the scratch (learner test + practice test after 60 days) even that i have back home driver license + an old expired KY driver license, is that true or should i check again

I'm baaaack!!!

Before continuing I wish to apologise to all my forum friends for my absence as I was extremely busy with my brother's recent wedding and in tandem settling into my new home.

Right picking up where I last left off...

I received my Green Card on the 20th September so the final "hurdle" is over. The entire process from the date I entered the USA to the date I received the Green Card was approximately one month so all those wondering about their Green Cards, just be patient because it will come through in the mail.

If you recall after your interviews you were given instructions on signing up for an account with USCIS and once you register you will see a receipt/case number on the page. If you go here http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis on the left hand side you can enter your case number to track the status of your Green Card.

My SSN came through two weeks after I entered the USA as I went to the SSA office in Arlington, VA (as per SusieQQQs kind advice) and jumped the queue/wait. You must have a SSN to be facilitate applications for other things such as credit cards, phone lines etc.

Bank account - I applied for a checking and savings account (the two are separate accounts) at Bank of America and within 10 days I received my chequebooks and debit card.

I also urge you all to apply for a secured credit card through your bank and ensure it has a cash rewards scheme affiliated to it. The secured credit card isn't a regular credit card in that you will be required to deposit a cash collateral into it. The advantage of a secured credit card is that it is a nice simple way to start building up a credit score as you pay back on the spending. Technically it is like a debit card because you are spending your cash collateral that you deposited however what you pay back builds your credit score.

I purchased my vehicle outright however you can also build up a credit score getting financing on your vehicle (DO NOT lease as leasing turns out to be more pricy and the actual ownership belongs to the dealer until you trade the vehicle in whereas with financing you will have final ownership of the car) and ensure you go for a certified pre-owned car because you will get benefits such as 3-5 free service and certain warranties. You would pay slightly more but it is overall beneficial. I have already clocked 3,000 miles on my car because I have been driving around a lot and have already done 6 hour drives to different states. If you're coming to VA or MD or DC, be prepared for heavy traffic on I-495, I-395 and I-66 :). DC driving is really difficult and I'd rank it right up there with NYC driving.

Phone line - I obtain a prepaid line from AT&T (like a pay-as-you-go) and you can get bundles of data and calls. Last week I went in and checked if I was eligible finally for a contract and sure enough they ran a credit check with my SSN and said I was eligible so I was well happy. I picked a bundle of 2GB data and unlimited calls to the entire USA at a fixed rate of approximately $100 per month. Start off with a small bundle if you apply for a contract and you can always change it depending on your requirement.

Driver's licence - as you recall from my earlier posts I chased this down during the first 14 days of my arrival and skipped the learner's test at my local DMV because I had my Tanzanian license. Other DMVs may have other rules so check before you go to your local DMV.

Internet/Cable - I took up a Verizon connection with their best bundle because it has value for money at $160 plus taxes per month but it gives you 64Mbps to 75Mbps internet download and almost 200 channels and lots of sports channels included (for us sportaholics). Again they will run a credit check in some cases or go through your SSN and security questions with you. There are cheaper bundles depending on your requirement. I only took up a higher connection as I need to access my work server in Tanzania without speed issues.

Next up I will be meeting with a tax consultant to ascertain how to pay my tax on my foreign income from Tanzania and thereby declare tax returns. I will keep you all posted on what he/she says. I will also register a company to do a little trading from home and declare tax on the income I generate.

This is a brief but I will go through my notes and give you all a more detailed update in the coming days. Please feel free to correct me on matters above or ask any questions you may have.

All the best!

Last edited by a moderator:
Momo, a huge thank you for your updates. It informs those in the "forum family" who will be making their move over soon, and also puts a smile on the faces of those not yet selected but keen to learn how things are over there now and who love to read ANYTHING of lucky DV winners. :)

Warm wishes

Q

thx Momo, but I ve a question, what can I do before flying if I ve some money on my local bank account? some one told me that it s not allowed to travel with more than 10 000$ cash, otherwise your will be charged or taxed?! shall I open an account in one of the american banks here in africa ...ex; citibank .???!

another question: what s the impact of this current shut down on our process of getting visas ??!
thx Momo

Hey momo great to hear u back, i already did most of my documents, however i wasn t lucky with Driver license, PA DMV told me to start from scratch , but i drive with both my back home and international driver license right now,

send me your number phone through PM , we need to play tennis as long as still the good weather here in philly :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Momo, a huge thank you for your updates. It informs those in the "forum family" who will be making their move over soon, and also puts a smile on the faces of those not yet selected but keen to learn how things are over there now and who love to read ANYTHING of lucky DV winners. :)

Warm wishes

Q

Second this, as a DV hopeful I LOVE hearing winner's stories of their first few months and living vicariously through you :p

Warm wishes

Q

Qwety, thank you for your message. I will pray for your success and hope to have you here soon with us winners :)

Case No - DV2013AF0007XXXX (applied the first time and got it the first time - lucky me!)
Entry Checked - 1st May 2012
Forms Sent To KCC - 10th May 2012
Received By KCC - 12th May 2012
Confirmation From KCC - 25th May 2012 after I sent them an email
2nd NL - 14th June 2013
Police Clearance (TZ) - 13th June 2013
Police Clearance (UK) - 21st June 2013
Medicals - Completed 24th June 2013
I-134 - 16th July 2013
Bank Statements - 22nd July 2013
Interview - Wednesday, August 7th 2013 @ 8am - US Embassy Tanzania - SUCCESS!!!
Visa Pick up - August 14th 2013 - PICKED UP
Departure Date - August 17th 2013
Port of Entry - Washington Dulles - August 18th 2013
Social Security - 26th August 2013
Driver's License - 28th August 2013
Green Card - 20th September 2013

thx Momo, but I ve a question, what can I do before flying if I ve some money on my local bank account? some one told me that it s not allowed to travel with more than 10 000$ cash, otherwise your will be charged or taxed?! shall I open an account in one of the american banks here in africa ...ex; citibank .???!

another question: what s the impact of this current shut down on our process of getting visas ??!
thx Momo

aimanda7, ignore what you've heard and follow the below information:

- If you have $10,000 cash you are permitted to carry it with you. All monetary instruments aka cash from $10,000 and above MUST be declared at your port of entry. You will be given a blue Homeland Security declaration form on the plane or find it at your port of entry where you must indicate the total amount of cash you are carrying be it in US Dollars or any other foreign currency. You do not need to declare cash under $10,000. Please do not fill/declare less than what you are carrying i.e. actually carrying $10,000 or more but only declaring $8,000 because it is a federal offence and the money can be seized by Homeland Security.

- You do NOT get charged taxes on the cash you are carrying. Who told you this anyway? That is utter nonsense.

- It isn't a pre-requisite to open an account with an American bank in Africa e.g. Citibank. It is just a personal preference but Citibank isn't friendly for individual usage in the US in terms of rates and facilities. It is more a corporate bank. I'd go for a bank such as Bank of America or Wells Fargo or PNC Bank in the USA because they are geared more towards individuals.

Case No - DV2013AF0007XXXX (applied the first time and got it the first time - lucky me!)
2nd NL - 14th June 2013
I-134 - 16th July 2013

Second this, as a DV hopeful I LOVE hearing winner's stories of their first few months and living vicariously through you :p

zombub, thanks for your kind message. Were you selected for DV2014?

2nd NL - 14th June 2013
I-134 - 16th July 2013

Hey momo great to hear u back, i already did most of my documents, however i wasn t lucky with Driver license, PA DMV told me to start from scratch , but i drive with both my back home and international driver license right now,

send me your number phone through PM , we need to play tennis as long as still the good weather here in philly :)

Hey buddy! Good to hear from you again. How're you settling in?

The driver's license is a minor hiccup in some states but you'll be fine once you get through the tests. I also drove with my international and Tanzanian license during my first few days in the USA.

I'll inbox you my number but man it is getting cold here in Virginia. I actually drove past Philly last week on my way to Allentown (PA) to visit family. 4-6 hour road trips are fun and I actually enjoy driving here!

2nd NL - 14th June 2013
I-134 - 16th July 2013

Nice to read you're back Momo,its really fun reading your post always and i just cant wait to start my life anew in USA. All the best in your endeavors out there and keep us updated as promised.

Thx a lot Momo, now I it s clear

aimanda7, ignore what you've heard and follow the below information:

- If you have $10,000 cash you are permitted to carry it with you. All monetary instruments aka cash from $10,000 and above MUST be declared at your port of entry. You will be given a blue Homeland Security declaration form on the plane or find it at your port of entry where you must indicate the total amount of cash you are carrying be it in US Dollars or any other foreign currency. You do not need to declare cash under $10,000. Please do not fill/declare less than what you are carrying i.e. actually carrying $10,000 or more but only declaring $8,000 because it is a federal offence and the money can be seized by Homeland Security.

- You do NOT get charged taxes on the cash you are carrying. Who told you this anyway? That is utter nonsense.

- It isn't a pre-requisite to open an account with an American bank in Africa e.g. Citibank. It is just a personal preference but Citibank isn't friendly for individual usage in the US in terms of rates and facilities. It is more a corporate bank. I'd go for a bank such as Bank of America or Wells Fargo or PNC Bank in the USA because they are geared more towards individuals.

2nd NL - 14th June 2013
I-134 - 16th July 2013

Thx a lot Momo, now I it s clear

One additional point about carrying cash. It is helpful to carry proof of where the cash came from (something like a bank withdrawal slip/statement). Oficials like to be able to account for where the cash came from and it helps them feel comfortable that all is well.

One additional point about carrying cash. It is helpful to carry proof of where the cash came from (something like a bank withdrawal slip/statement). Oficials like to be able to account for where the cash came from and it helps them feel comfortable that all is well.

I concur with Simon on this. It wouldn't hurt to have proof of where the funds came from. I also carried my bank withdrawal slip with me.

You been alright Simon?

2nd NL - 14th June 2013
I-134 - 16th July 2013

I concur with Simon on this. It wouldn't hurt to have proof of where the funds came from. I also carried my bank withdrawal slip with me.

You been alright Simon?

2nd NL - 14th June 2013
I-134 - 16th July 2013

All good Momo - just trying to get a few things done in readiness for the move (not that I have a final date yet - damn H1 still not approved). I got a job offer from a University in San Francisco - so I am seriously considering that.

I have to get rid of two motorbikes, two cars and two sheds full of things that I really shouldn't ship. I just had my Lexus RX detailed today - and I was thinking of you coasting around in your RX. I'll bet you are loving life right now. Awesome!

Simon,

Are you moving to South Bay? :)

I will have Saturday morning Ferry Building Market envy :p

One of my big wish list items is to do some post grad in the Bay area. One day :)

Q

Simon,

Are you moving to South Bay? :)

I will have Saturday morning Ferry Building Market envy :p

One of my big wish list items is to do some post grad in the Bay area. One day :)

Q

If I take this offer I'll be working by Golden gate Park. Just looking at homes around Berkeley and the East bay in general. I spent a lot of time working around SF so yeah I know the Ferry Building Market. You'll be there one day Qewty - maybe DV2015 will be your year!