The final journey has started

gcslowgoer

Registered Users (C)
I got my GC 7 years back, now I have started the final leg of the journey - to be a US citizen. This forum maintained by Mr. Khanna helped me and others during the GC process.

I mailed the application last Saturday, today I checked the money got withdrawn from my bank account. Before I was thinking that the Test is like multiple choice, which means the answers are provided and that becomes much easier than memorizing the correct answers - just like DL tests.

What is your experience folks - who have gone through the interview ?

Thanks in advance for sharing.

I got my GC 7 years back, now I have started the final leg of the journey - to be a US citizen. This forum maintained by Mr. Khanna helped me and others during the GC process.

I mailed the application last Saturday, today I checked the money got withdrawn from my bank account. Before I was thinking that the Test is like multiple choice, which means the answers are provided and that becomes much easier than memorizing the correct answers - just like DL tests.

What is your experience folks - who have gone through the interview ?

Thanks in advance for sharing.
I know its easy to say 'it was easy', but follow the 'Documents' thread to get all the necessary docs together and prepare for the test. You will come out ok.

good luck, and while the test review and preparation looks like multiple choice format, the actual test at interview you will NOT be given answers to choOSE from, just a point to remember.

I was thinking that the Test is like multiple choice, which means the answers

Just had my interview this week. The IO will have a sheet of paper with 10 questions printed on it. They will read out the question and write your verbal answer under the question. They will make a check mark alongside the answer if it is correct. I do not know what they do if it is the wrong answer as I got all 6 correct.

Good luck with the process things are moving fast these days. I am at 3 months and about 8 days since mailing off my N-400. Now waiting on the OL.

When you get your finger prints done they will give you the booklet with questions. There will also be a CD in the back. I played it every morning using random shuffle play until it repeated the first question.

I memorized the first answer or as many as were required if they wanted 2 or 3 items in the answer.

19th Nov, we had our interview in LA Office. It was extremely smooth - in and out in less than 10 minutes. The officer said at the end of the interview, 'hope all my interviews are like this one !'.

I already got the letter for the Oath ceremoy on 18th Dec.

Just wanted to share.

We had the Oath Ceremony on 18th Dec at LA Convention Center - liked the entire event. After returning we went to the local Post Office and applied for the passports.

I think it took exactly 4 months.

I have a question though - I have a 15 year old son. I applied for his passport along with us. Will I get a 10 years valid passport for him ? Do I need to naturalize him when he turns 18. Or just because he is having a passport he is a US citizen ?

What about SSN ? Do I have to go to the SSN office and update our status ?

Experts - please advice.

Assuming that your son already had a green card and was living with you in the US, he already became a US citizen on the day that you naturalized. Getting a US passport for your son will just confirm that he is a US citizen.

You should update your citizenship status at the Social Security office, in order to reduce the chances of problems with eVerify or voter registration (sometimes eVerify and voting authorities will cross-check the Social Security database to verify citizenship). And if you didn't already update your SS card to remove the employment restriction when you were a permanent resident, they will send you an unrestricted card after you show proof of citizenship. But for your son, you will need to get his passport or N-600 certificate before they will update his Social Security records to reflect his citizenship status.

Jackolantern - Thank you so much.

Yes, my son is a Permanent Resident in US and we applied for his passport along with us.

The info. about SSN is also very helpful.

Next thing in the list is OCI !

When you said "we" had "our" interview and oath, do you mean you and your spouse both had interviews on the same day, and oaths on the same day as each other?