The effect of I-485 filing on J-1 and possible extensions

stinger5

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,
I am a postdoc on J-1 visa which is expiring in July 2008. I have I-140 (EB-1) pending since July 2007 and according to current processing dates for TSC I should know the results soon. My visa advisor at the University suggests that I should file I-485 as soon as possible, even before knowing the outcome of my I-140 application, since the University is concerned that I won’t get my EAD card in time before the end of July, when my J-1 will expire, since it can take up to 90 days to process EAD. These 90 days (before the end of July) will start counting in May. And if EAD is still not approved before the expiration of my J-1 visa then I won’t be able to work and has to be separated from the University.
Now, when I asked my International Advisor what will happen if my I-140 is denied, she says that in this case they’ll simply extend my current J-1 visa when it will be coming close to expiration. Is this really the case? Because I read on several occasions on various immigration forums that filing I-485 (Adjustment of Status) effectively negates the J-1 visa and it can’t be extended after that. So if I file I-485 now and then find out that my I-140 is denied that would mean that my I-485 will be also denied and I’ll be out of status? Is my understanding of this issue correct? Or is my visa advisor at the University correct and my J-1 can be extended without any problems if I-140 is denied?

Hi, Before answering questions, there are couple of things. Did you have 2 year Home Country residency requirement on your current J1? If so, then I assume that you already got a waiver before I-140 filing. Once you got a waiver, there is no further J1 extension possible.

Then I think that you may not be able to go back to J1 (total period of 5 years) as you already showed the intent of becoming a immigrant by applying for green card. I may be wrong. Pls consult with experts to be sure.

It is possible to extend your J visa with pending I485, the possibility for denial is significant because you showed intension to immigrate. The situation may be differet if your I140 get denied (I do not know why you assume this if you fit in the category you applied to). The H visa is not bad option in your case if your work sposor you for H.

Hi, Before answering questions, there are couple of things. Did you have 2 year Home Country residency requirement on your current J1? If so, then I assume that you already got a waiver before I-140 filing. Once you got a waiver, there is no further J1 extension possible.

To file I-140 or even to be approved does not need waiver. It is the I-485 which does need waiver or no subject.