• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

The "been there done that" thread: life in the US after DV

Thanks again Susie, My son junior, he will register for selective service when he turns 18 this September. Maybe he will be citizen if we finished our Citizenship process with this time ( I have doubts to finish it in 3 months) We will apply 90 days before the 5 years GC. Hope the USCIS reopen next month. Do you think we still apply and send our application or we have to wait until the offices reopen?
Thanks again

Send your application in when you can, they are still working, just not on things that need public interaction.
I would suggest (1) filing online (it tailors the questions to you, guides you to the exact evidence you need, you get immediate priority date and receipt #) and (2) wait a couple of days after the 90 day mark because sometimes the system glitches and sets the Viking date as the day before. It will still get notice of receipt earlier than mailing it in.
The process is varying widely according to where you are, it took me over a year, I think 3 months is quite rare these days.

Thanks again Susie, My son junior, he will register for selective service when he turns 18 this September. Maybe he will be citizen if we finished our Citizenship process with this time ( I have doubts to finish it in 3 months) We will apply 90 days before the 5 years GC. Hope the USCIS reopen next month. Do you think we still apply and send our application or we have to wait until the offices reopen?
Thanks again

back to college money ....the reason I asked if he was a junior was because it wasn't much use spending time on money advice that would be useless if he’d applied already :) I’ll send you a PM about that, don’t think we need to sidetrack everyone :)

Send your application in when you can, they are still working, just not on things that need public interaction.
I would suggest (1) filing online (it tailors the questions to you, guides you to the exact evidence you need, you get immediate priority date and receipt #) and (2) wait a couple of days after the 90 day mark because sometimes the system glitches and sets the Viking date as the day before. It will still get notice of receipt earlier than mailing it in.
The process is varying widely according to where you are, it took me over a year, I think 3 months is quite rare these days.
Susie can you elaborate on 2?

Susie can you elaborate on 2?
There was a thread on another forum where someone filed the first day he could, but when he eventually went to his interview he discovered the system had recorded it as filed the day before (this despite the fact that the online system doesn’t actually let you file before the 90 days, go figure). Anyway he got denied for filing too early, appealed it and eventually (I don’t remember how long in time but many pages of the thread) they accepted he filed it correctly and approved him, but it was a heck of a hassle. And someone else then posted the same thing had happened to them in the thread. So not sure if it’s some type of time zone glitch or something but these cases have led people to recommend filing say T-88 rather than T-90 just to be on the safe side.

sorry also I see a confusing typo I didn’t pick up in 2, “Viking” should be ”filing” !!

There was a thread on another forum where someone filed the first day he could, but when he eventually went to his interview he discovered the system had recorded it as filed the day before (this despite the fact that the online system doesn’t actually let you file before the 90 days, go figure). Anyway he got denied for filing too early, appealed it and eventually (I don’t remember how long in time but many pages of the thread) they accepted he filed it correctly and approved him, but it was a heck of a hassle. And someone else then posted the same thing had happened to them in the thread. So not sure if it’s some type of time zone glitch or something but these cases have led people to recommend filing say T-88 rather than T-90 just to be on the safe side.

sorry also I see a confusing typo I didn’t pick up in 2, “Viking” should be ”filing” !!
The viking thing was definitely confusing :), thanks for the clarification. This is an interesting glitch that I wouldn't have actually imagined. I agree it sounds like it could be caused by a time zone difference between the client vs server.

If the 88 days and it is a week end, Saturday or Sunday,I still able to sum it online? Is there any risk to submit o line? Or paper still better for the immigration? Thank you

If the 88 days and it is a week end, Saturday or Sunday,I still able to sum it online? Is there any risk to submit o line? Or paper still better for the immigration? Thank you
I already explained in the quote you used why I think filing online is better....
and yes it’s calendar days not business days. There is an online calculator for this somewhere too

Hey
I arrived here 2 months ago through DV lottery , i only get my green card but not my SSC
I called the local SS office hundreds of times to help me issuing the card , they insist it is impossible without reopening the office , come in and deliver my documents again to issue the card
So any ideas ???

Hey
I arrived here 2 months ago through DV lottery , i only get my green card but not my SSC
I called the local SS office hundreds of times to help me issuing the card , they insist it is impossible without reopening the office , come in and deliver my documents again to issue the card
So any ideas ???

sorry but that’s what you have to do..

Hi Guys,
Did anyone open an account before getting a social security number and with which bank were they able to do that with?
Thank you.

Hi Guys,
Did anyone open an account before getting a social security number and with which bank were they able to do that with?
Thank you.
Which state are you in? I don't know anyone that opened a bank account without SSN, but you can try TCF (not sure if it's in your state)

You can open a bank account without a SSN. I know because I did it through Bank of America.

I already explained in the quote you used why I think filing online is better....
and yes it’s calendar days not business days. There is an online calculator for this somewhere too
Thank you. I’m more comfortable to use paper application. I see they will be start to open June 4th hopefully. But I think we still able to send paper applications in one package as a couple like each one has application but in one mailing envelope.
My son will register for the Elective service when he turn 18 Soon :) And we can file him N-400 and it’s even cheaper than N-600.

Hey peoples - Does anyone have an official link to biosecurity requirements in regards to shipping over house contents?

Long story short, the family wants to bring over their collection of coral art that they've made themselves, plus other miscellaneous stuff and I'm having trouble finding what is/isn't allowed.

Cheers

Hi Guys,
Thank you.

Did it before I even had a Greencard, with US Bank. Was easy as. The SSN is only needed if you want a Credit Card, loan, etc.

Hi all! So my family were supposed to be in Minnesota this week. We’ve delayed our travel plans, due to the virus, but this has meant I’m between contracts for work. Just been offered a really cool one for 6 months, but we’re moving to the States in July because my son starts performing arts school (fingers bloody crossed!) in August. Has anyone had the experience of having a foreign-paid job for their first few months in America? How did that work for SS and tax? The company is NZ based but a work from anywhere design role. Cheers!

Hi all! So my family were supposed to be in Minnesota this week. We’ve delayed our travel plans, due to the virus, but this has meant I’m between contracts for work. Just been offered a really cool one for 6 months, but we’re moving to the States in July because my son starts performing arts school (fingers bloody crossed!) in August. Has anyone had the experience of having a foreign-paid job for their first few months in America? How did that work for SS and tax? The company is NZ based but a work from anywhere design role. Cheers!
There is no harm to work remotely. USA will charge you tax on your foreign income, so you'll just have to declare it at tax time so it's calculated. It won't be much, if anything, if there is a tax treaty.

If you hold a foreign account with more than 10k USD or equivalent in it, you also need to file an FBAR form. Also easy.

You'll just use your SSN when you do your taxes.

I'm no accountant so don't listen to me too much, but that's the general gist.

@Drehitchcock , how exactly will you be doing this, that is, are you an employee on their payroll, or a (self-employed) consultant working for them? For tax for both cases obviously you declare your income to the IRS. I’m not exactly sure how the first would work regarding social security/medicare tax contributions (but here is the irs page on it https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/persons-employed-by-a-foreign-employer).
For self employed see here https://www.irs.gov/businesses/smal...oyment-tax-social-security-and-medicare-taxes - basically you keep a portion aside to pay these contributions with. I’d suggest a chat with a tax consultant about this if you’re going the self employed route - there may also be quarterly tax payments you need to make. A tax consultant will also ensure you maximize allowed deductions.

Last edited:
Hi There,
We are trying to gather some info for our citizenship application.
1- Is there any thing explain online N-400 process?
2-Is it going right a way to the local office which will is the interview will will be placed?
3- If I worked 20 days in the beginning of Dv green card and then I changed to another better jobs One of them a year and the current one is around 4 years Since I started, is it needs to be in the job history?
4- The home address before I received my GC, Is it needs to be written since the rent contract signed if it’s the same place around 2 years before the GC or only since September 15th (GC issued date)?
5- Am I still able to print the application to be with me too or when I submit it no longer be available? I’m wondering how the officer will have it, in paper or he will go through it online?
Thank you all

Hi There,
We are trying to gather some info for our citizenship application.
1- Is there any thing explain online N-400 process?
2-Is it going right a way to the local office which will is the interview will will be placed?
3- If I worked 20 days in the beginning of Dv green card and then I changed to another better jobs One of them a year and the current one is around 4 years Since I started, is it needs to be in the job history?
4- The home address before I received my GC, Is it needs to be written since the rent contract signed if it’s the same place around 2 years before the GC or only since September 15th (GC issued date)?
5- Am I still able to print the application to be with me too or when I submit it no longer be available? I’m wondering how the officer will have it, in paper or he will go through it online?
Thank you all

1. What do you mean by ”process”? It’s pretty simple for most people: fill in form, go to biometrics, wait for interview, then wait for oath ceremony. The times between these steps vary by FO and the full process can take anything from a few months to over a year,
2. See above
3. Yes
4. The form only asks for the last 5 years (3 years if married to usc) which should be maximum date of issue of GC
5. If you submit it on online (recommended), your myuscis account will have a copy of the form and all documents submitted.