• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

The "been there done that" thread: life in the US after DV

I got a Wells Fargo secured card that was just upgraded last week, maybe 7 months after we arrived. I also got another card from Wells Fargo last month.

Would be very hard to get a non-secured card up front, if someone managed that would be interested in how.
From what I've seen they don't offer a secured card anymore

I got a Wells Fargo secured card that was just upgraded last week, maybe 7 months after we arrived. I also got another card from Wells Fargo last month.

Would be very hard to get a non-secured card up front, if someone managed that would be interested in how.
I got a discover non secured card as my first card. No idea how but I think it might have been something to do with signing a lease before I applied for the card. Or they just made a mistake.

My friend actually told me to get the Discover card to build my credit, he meant the secured one, I mistakenly chose the normal one and it went through.

Am I just dumb (don't answer) or is the medical system here really confusing? There are times even the doctors/dentists don't know my coverage....I just don't get it. Am I expected to call my insurer every time I go somewhere new and check with them first?

Am I just dumb (don't answer) or is the medical system here really confusing? There are times even the doctors/dentists don't know my coverage....I just don't get it. Am I expected to call my insurer every time I go somewhere new and check with them first?

Do you not get issued with a membership card or something to show the provider? Who did you end up getting health insurance with?

you should check the doctors/dentists take your coverage, first, before you go to them. There should be a list on your insurance website for which take your specific plan.
I‘m surprised you find that though anyway, mine always know what we are covered for when we need to find out. It’s normally a quick call or lookup for them.
(All that said, yes, the medical system is confusing, I came from somewhere else that we used private medical insurance and I still find the way it works here confusing!)

How did everyone go with finding a rental? Was it easy without a job yet? Did you find one before arriving in the US? We will need to rent as soon as we get (before jobs) for maybe 3 to 6 mths first before we buy and am wondering if this will be hard...I can offer all rent paid upfront? Any ideas? Thanks

How did everyone go with finding a rental? Was it easy without a job yet? Did you find one before arriving in the US? We will need to rent as soon as we get (before jobs) for maybe 3 to 6 mths first before we buy and am wondering if this will be hard...I can offer all rent paid upfront? Any ideas? Thanks

depends on the landlord. Some management companies are very strict on credit record (you won’t have), others are more flexible. Our landlord wanted to see evidence of 6 months’ worth of rent in a US bank account, but did not want us to put down more than the usual deposit. You’ll have to negotiate with potential landlords on a case by case basis.

Would not put down money on a rental sight unseen, it might work out, but it might be a dodgy apartment or location...or possibly an outright scam, it happens. Especially if it’s not a city you know well and might be caught out by area, specific location etc. Equally, some landlords will not sign with someone not yet resident and/or that they haven't personally met.

Probably been asked before. Has anyone been able to open a USA Bank account while still here in Australia?

Probably been asked before. Has anyone been able to open a USA Bank account while still here in Australia?
Most online sign ups will require an SSN and a US address, you might be able to call them and plead your case though :)

Pretty sure it can't be done. I researched that very issue, and ended up doing a US trip for the sole purpose of opening a US Bank acct.

Is there any link to guide me through the filing of tax returns on this forum? Thanks

I haven't seen one. Depending on how complex your taxes are (for instance, if you have substantial overseas assets) the best thing might be to talk with a tax agent/attorney and get their advice. If you have simple taxes then software tools like TurboTax might do the job. My colleagues seem to fall into these two buckets.

Are there "better" POEs compared to others? I wonder if you know where it's best to enter (or to avoid) in terms of lines, faster processing, more "experinced" officers with processing new immigrants etc. And has anyone entered through Miami or Philly?

Are there "better" POEs compared to others? I wonder if you know where it's best to enter (or to avoid) in terms of lines, faster processing, more "experinced" officers with processing new immigrants etc. And has anyone entered through Miami or Philly?
I have entered through Philly and it was very easy and well set up. Even though there was a line I was through in under 20 mins. Your experience may vary though. So far for me Philly has been the best and Atlanta has been the worse.
That's just for coming through after already having a green card though. As for the actual processing, I'm not too sure.

If you can avoid LAX you should. Not that processing through there was hard - to the contrary that part was easy... its just that LAX has such a bad reputation for exceptionally long immigration lines coupled with the layout of the airport and having to exit and reenter security (depending on your connecting flight) that also has ridiculously long lines.

I've heard a few people say Hawaii is a good place to process. I can agree that it's definitely way more laid back that other airports, plus if you have a day or two to spare, its a very pretty place to visit :)

Your POE will most likely be a matter of what flights you can get.

In my experience, Miami airport SUCKS and the BP agents there can be unusually bad.