• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

The "been there done that" thread: life in the US after DV

One more question that I forgot to ask: how difficult did you find it to put in a rental application especially when you don’t have a credit score?

One more question that I forgot to ask: how difficult did you find it to put in a rental application especially when you don’t have a credit score?
I had been here for almost 2 months before I put in a rental application. I had a credit file but it was very new and I had an average score. I was lucky enough that all I needed to do was pay an additional security deposit ($1000)
I guess it all depends on where you want to rent and what their policies are but I would suggest just being open an honest with them when you apply.

Depends how you do it. For some of the large apartment blocks/complexes where they have managers doing it, they might follow a tick-the-box approach where no credit score = no rental. Private landlords might be more flexible, especially if you are in area where immigrants are not uncommon.

I had been here for almost 2 months before I put in a rental application. I had a credit file but it was very new and I had an average score. I was lucky enough that all I needed to do was pay an additional security deposit ($1000)
I guess it all depends on where you want to rent and what their policies are but I would suggest just being open an honest with them when you apply.
Lucky that - i had no credit score ("thin file") for about 6 months after i arrived!

Depends how you do it. For some of the large apartment blocks/complexes where they have managers doing it, they might follow a tick-the-box approach where no credit score = no rental. Private landlords might be more flexible, especially if you are in area where immigrants are not uncommon.

Ah that’s gonna be tough as I’m looking at those large apartment complexes :(

Ah that’s gonna be tough as I’m looking at those large apartment complexes :(
You could also look into a condo and find one that lets you deal directly with the owner - you might have a better chance if you can personally plead your case about why you have limited or no credit file
I often see condos advertised on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist

We got a rental in one of the large apartment complexes. We reached out to them via email and explained our circumstances and that we would be happy to pay upfront. It worked and, in the end, didn't need to pay upfront beyond first and last month's rent.

I'd suggest reaching out to them via email or via phone and talking it through. It might work.

I second the “dealing with individual condo owners” alternative instead of large apartment complex management companies. Individual condo owners are far more understanding.

I contacted a apartment community and they were very helpful. Paid two months rent upfront and that was it. I did all this from outside of the US. (they are a chain so I felt safe dealing with them). Great apartments too!

Hello!

DV2019 winner here. I have a question about activation trip/continuous residence. I will activate my GC in November 2019 and then planning to go back home to Brussels for 9 months before moving permanently in August 2020.

I will however go to the US in April 2020 (5 months after my activation trip) for an exploratory visit (for a couple of weeks, to open bank account, maybe line up some interviews, visiting a few cities, etc)

Question is, will my continuous residence be maintained for the citizenship ? I don't want to lose the months following my activation trip for the citizenship ...

Thanks a lot

Hello!

DV2019 winner here. I have a question about activation trip/continuous residence. I will activate my GC in November 2019 and then planning to go back home to Brussels for 9 months before moving permanently in August 2020.

I will however go to the US in April 2020 (5 months after my activation trip) for an exploratory visit (for a couple of weeks, to open bank account, maybe line up some interviews, visiting a few cities, etc)

Question is, will my continuous residence be maintained for the citizenship ? I don't want to lose the months following my activation trip for the citizenship ...

Thanks a lot
You said yourself you won't be residing there so you can't honestly expect it to be counted .. right?

Hi @Aidyn
Thanks for your reply.

Indeed I will be residing there as of Aug 2020, but I was wondering about the way USCIS counts the continuous residence. If possible I will avoid disrupting it since my activation day.

Hello!

Thanks a lot
If you are not absent longer than 6 months, as of now it should count to maintain continuous residency. Caveat: I know there are certain aspects of residency they are tightening up on and this may be one of them (i don't know all the details) so what has worked in the past may not always work in the future.

@SusieQQQ do you think the immigration officer will be ok with me doing a short round trip to the US few months after my activation trip ?

I dont want them to think I am using the GC just to get in and out, but it's a transition period before I tie all loose ends before moving permanently and I will use this trip to search for jobs, apartments, etc.

Last edited:
@SusieQQQ do you think the immigration officer will be ok with me doing a short round trip to the US few months after my activation trip ?

I dont want them to think I am using the GC just to get in and out, but it's a transition period before I tie all loose ends before moving permanently and I will use this trip to search for jobs, apartments, etc.

You might get questioned on it (I did when I did the same thing), just explain as you did above.

@SusieQQQ May I ask at which POE did you get questioned (I know it might not be relevant, but more out of curiosity) ? and for how long were you outside the US ? was it less than 6 months ?

Thanks!