• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

The "been there done that" thread: life in the US after DV

Just be cautious with how you declare superannuation using Turbo Tax (or any of the other DIY software options). Most Australian funds do not meet the definition of a pension fund in the US and have to be declared as a separate investment vehicle.

The only year I filed dual returns was my first year in the US where I had income from two countries. Now, it's just the one return, declaring my Australian assets (superannuation and savings account).

Just be cautious with how you declare superannuation using Turbo Tax (or any of the other DIY software options). Most Australian funds do not meet the definition of a pension fund in the US and have to be declared as a separate investment vehicle.

The only year I filed dual returns was my first year in the US where I had income from two countries. Now, it's just the one return, declaring my Australian assets (superannuation and savings account).
Do you have to declare the Australian assets when you are?:

1. Simply on a work visa in the US.
2. When you become a green card holder.
3. Only when you become a US citizen.

I don't know much about work visas, but the US taxes LPRs and Citizens on worldwide income. So yes, as soon as you become an LPR, you have to complete US tax returns and you have to declare ALL assets on those returns. Thanks to the treaty between the US and AU, you won't be double-taxed.

A
I don't know much about work visas, but the US taxes LPRs and Citizens on worldwide income. So yes, as soon as you become an LPR, you have to complete US tax returns and you have to declare ALL assets on those returns. Thanks to the treaty between the US and AU, you won't be double-taxed.
Unless you start living in California or New York as they don’t recognise the treaty at a state level :(

Greetings everyone,

I am the DV2023OC winner, currently residing in the USA. I want to express my gratitude for the invaluable assistance I received from this forum. Upon my arrival, the customs officer requested the sealed envelope from the embassy and inquired about my address, which had changed due to some circumstances. I observed that only my partner's passport was stamped with the arrival date in the USA, while mine was not. Could this pose any issues for me as the main applicant? It’s only been few weeks and I have already applied for SSN and GC.
Thank you.

Greetings everyone,

I am the DV2023OC winner, currently residing in the USA. I want to express my gratitude for the invaluable assistance I received from this forum. Upon my arrival, the customs officer requested the sealed envelope from the embassy and inquired about my address, which had changed due to some circumstances. I observed that only my partner's passport was stamped with the arrival date in the USA, while mine was not. Could this pose any issues for me as the main applicant? It’s only been few weeks and I have already applied for SSN and GC.
Thank you.
If your passport/visa was not endorsed upon admission, it means you cannot use it as a temporary GC (which is valid for one year). So you need to visit your nearest CP Deferred Inspection site and request they stamp your passport/visa.

A Guide For New Immigrants - links to resources new LPRs (especially those new to the US system) may not be aware of:

Greetings,

I have a question about renting the first apartment once we arrive to the US.

Since we are going to be new immigrants without credit history, could we have a problem to rent apartment?

We will have proof of funds enough to cover 6 months of rent, wouldn't even mind to pay everything in advance in order to secure the housing.

I am just curious how did other green card winners solve their first time rent and if there are any tips on what to pay attention

Greetings,

Since we are going to be new immigrants without credit history, could we have a problem to rent apartment?

We will have proof of funds enough to cover 6 months of rent, wouldn't even mind to pay everything in advance in order to secure the housing.

I am just curious how did other green card winners solve their first time rent and if there are any tips on what to pay attention

Most places are used to that and will have some reasonable way to handle it. Typically they want an additional deposit besides the usual security deposit. Lots of Americans need to rent without a credit history too so things like this are usually not a big deal.

Greetings,

I personally had zero problems. I reached out to an apartment complex over email from New Zealand and managed to get a place for us before even stepping foot in the US. I think they just wanted a larger deposit.

Also when you get to the US and get a bank acct, I'd suggest getting a secured credit card. Good way to get credit scores up quickly.