Temporary Evidence of LPR (Passport stamping)

siva_k

Hi,

Did anybody get Temporary Evidence stamped recently at Detroit office, even if the approval notice didn't suggest to go to Local Office?

This is what happened in my case. My case was approved on May 16th 2005 and the approval notice says "Your case has been approved. Do not take any action. Wait for another notification about biometrics processing.....". I have planned international travel in July and wanted to get Temporary Evidence stamped in passport because my attorney said my advance parole is no longer valid. I went to Detroit local office on 8th June 2005 with Infopass appointment and they refused to give me the temporary evidence. They said they cannot do anything until I get the Biometrics done, even when I showed them the proof of travel (confirmed airlines tickets). I spoke to the supervisor at the Detroit office and she confirmed the same thing and said "It's a rule. No stamping with no biometrics and no biometrics with no biometrics appointment letter from CIS". She bluntly said "cancel or reschedule your travel".

But I see few messages in this board and elsewhere that some people with similar approval notice were able to get passports stamped as recent as June 2005. But none suggested that they got it done at Detroit Office.

I don't expect to receive a biometrics letter before the end of this month. So, I still am going to try my luck at Detroit office at least once before I cancel my travel. It'd help to know if anybody got stamping done at Detroit office. Could you please share your experience at this office?

Thanks,
Siva

siva_k said:
Hi,

Did anybody get Temporary Evidence stamped recently at Detroit office, even if the approval notice didn't suggest to go to Local Office?

This is what happened in my case. My case was approved on May 16th 2005 and the approval notice says "Your case has been approved. Do not take any action. Wait for another notification about biometrics processing.....". I have planned international travel in July and wanted to get Temporary Evidence stamped in passport because my attorney said my advance parole is no longer valid. I went to Detroit local office on 8th June 2005 with Infopass appointment and they refused to give me the temporary evidence. They said they cannot do anything until I get the Biometrics done, even when I showed them the proof of travel (confirmed airlines tickets). I spoke to the supervisor at the Detroit office and she confirmed the same thing and said "It's a rule. No stamping with no biometrics and no biometrics with no biometrics appointment letter from CIS". She bluntly said "cancel or reschedule your travel".

But I see few messages in this board and elsewhere that some people with similar approval notice were able to get passports stamped as recent as June 2005. But none suggested that they got it done at Detroit Office.

I don't expect to receive a biometrics letter before the end of this month. So, I still am going to try my luck at Detroit office at least once before I cancel my travel. It'd help to know if anybody got stamping done at Detroit office. Could you please share your experience at this office?

Thanks,
Siva

There is no rule as the supervisor says. Ask her to show you the rule. Ask her how else that you can travel. after the I-485 approval you have rights to travel as you please. A stupid supervisor can not stop you from doing that. She has to give you the stamp since you have the valid travel docs.

pwdg said:
There is no rule as the supervisor says. Ask her to show you the rule. Ask her how else that you can travel. after the I-485 approval you have rights to travel as you please. A stupid supervisor can not stop you from doing that. She has to give you the stamp since you have the valid travel docs.
A recent USCIS memo did say that temporary I-551 stamps would no longer be given.
I think its due to the Rapid card system put in place by NSC.

btw, you can argue rules all day you want -- but if they're gonna not stamp it there is nothing much you can do about it !!
Yes you definitely have the "rights to travel as you please" -- but what you don't have is the correct document to re-enter after you're done traveling. Which is not a right - but something you should obtain and take with you before you leave.

btw, one more of my friends also tried in Detroit and was denied stamping (3 or so weeks back) ... she had no travel plans - so didn't care too much. She's yet to get the biometrics appt letter.

Hope this help

ppl got FP+Biometrics at ASC same time, trigers quick I-551

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USCIS is working on a procedure wherein applicants would get their biometrics for card production taken at the ASC at the same time that they get their fingerprints taken for name-check purposes. As a result, applicants will receive their I-551 cards shortly after approval of their I-485's. However, the applicants will have to appear at a service office only once. The procedure will give rise to the need for applicants to make InfoPass appointments and go into local offices except if they have an immediate need for temporary evidence of status. Applicants who filed during the year 2005 for adjustment in recent months have been receiving the notices to appear for both fingerprints and biometrics. Applicants who do not need fingerprints are being scheduled for biometrics only. NSC is also scheduling many applicants who filed prior to 2005 for their biometrics. Many of these applicants have not yet had their biometrics taken when their case was approved. These individuals will be receiving an appointment notice soon after approval to appear for biometrics. Districts can still provide the I-551 stamp.

Good Luck

max2k1 said:
A recent USCIS memo did say that temporary I-551 stamps would no longer be given.
I think its due to the Rapid card system put in place by NSC.

btw, you can argue rules all day you want -- but if they're gonna not stamp it there is nothing much you can do about it !!
Yes you definitely have the "rights to travel as you please" -- but what you don't have is the correct document to re-enter after you're done traveling. Which is not a right - but something you should obtain and take with you before you leave.

btw, one more of my friends also tried in Detroit and was denied stamping (3 or so weeks back) ... she had no travel plans - so didn't care too much. She's yet to get the biometrics appt letter.

This is the info I got before my stamping from my lawyer. this is for Ohio. there must be something for you in michigan. I took a copy of this as well with me for stamping. But it was not used. According to this memo the ADIT will be done after an interview. I did not have an interview. I only had an approval notice. if you are desperate in travel, try to find out from the AILA what is the rule for michigan. Good luck.
By the way, one of my friends with a similar notice got stamped in columbus< OH yesterday.

> USCIS has agreed to issue an I-551 stamp following an interview only
> when there is a need to travel within a few weeks of the interview.
> Request the I-551 stamp for clients only when it is necessary - keep
> in mind that in most cases the green card is being mailed within 3
> weeks of the interview.
>
>
>
> The American Immigration Lawyers Association worked on this issue with

> USCIS yesterday and below is the message approved by Mark Hansen,
> Ohio's District Director.
>
> I-551 STAMPS: We have again raised the question of emergent needs for
> I-551 stamps prior to receipt of the alien registration cards.
> Recognizing that the Service has vastly improved the delivery of the
> cards, and in most cases, they are received within a few weeks
> following the interview, there are still those isolated and rare cases

> in which there is a need to travel within that 3 week period. In
> those rare cases, the Service has agreed to entertain requests for an
> I-551 stamp at the end of an interview for those cases designated for
> approval. The examiner will be instructed to consult with a
> supervisor before issuing the stamp, and attorneys should be prepared
to explain the unusual need.
> However, Mark Hansen noted that if there are more requests than would
> seem necessary (this should be rare), this policy will be revisited.
> It appears that the USCIS is trying to eliminate entirely the
> temporary stamp.

Just wanted to know whether you have any additional information. Is it not possible to go to the local USCIS office and show them the airline tickets to get the LPR temporary stamp on your passport ? If not, is it possible to use your Advance Parole for travel.

Go To Either Chicago Or Milwaukee.

Hi Siva,
If U have travel emergency go to Chicago where i got my PP stamped with same type of Approval which I got on May 24th. My friend with same 'no action take until iometrics' notice which he got on May 24th got stamped in Milwaukee, but he lives in Chicago. Mail me if u have any Qtions?