temporary change of address

berrybird

Registered Users (C)
Guys,

Do any of you have any info on temporary change of address from USPS ? If I do this will BCIS mail get forwarded or will it be returned back ? The postmaster (of my zip code) thinks the BCIS mail would be sent to the new address without any problems (i.e. will not be returned as is the case with a permanent change of address).

Info on this will be helpful especially since I have long trips of 3-6 months coming up to Japan and Korea. I still plan to keep my apartment. If you guys have any options let me know. Regards,

BB

berrybird

USPS never forwards mail coming from BCIS. Whoever told you that is wrong. USPS is obligated by law to return the mail back to BCIS if the receiptient does not live at the address. It's another matter if the applicant uses someones address and pick mail from there later.

There are some instances where USPS forwarded the mails from immigration. But I will not rely on that. You can ask USPS to hold it..

I had to do the same thing some time ago. I was being sent on work somewhere else for about 4 months.

I actually asked thwe post office to hold my mail - have to take special permission as the usually hold for a max of 1 month. I asked a friend to collect my mail at 15 day intervals. This worked and I actually received my EAD while I was away.