TD to F-1

adventurist

Registered Users (C)
I am working in the US on TN-1. My daughter is a full-time freshman student at OSU-Columbus, Ohio. Can she change her status from TD to F-1? If it's doable, is the application complicated?. Thanks a lot.

yes it is a regular process. you just need to contact the college. they will obtain her I-20. make sure you do all this befor her TD expires so she doesnt have a problem when she comes back in.

You would also want to verify what tuition rates they will charge on TD or f-1.

I believe some have been surprised to find tuition jump when they become F or J. Genrally, TD (and TN) is valid for study.

Thank you so much for your prompt replies. I am paying for an "in-state" tuition because the Ohio State has a policy that if you live, work and pay taxes here for at least 3 years regardless of whether you're a US citizen/permanent resident or legal resident, you're entitled to this kind of priveledge to pay an 'in-state" tuition for every child who studies at the university. Once again, thanks.

Hi,
Really glad I found this thread.

I'm a spouse of TN here in Mass. and I'm planning to study (nothing to do, work is prohibited!). I already called at least 3 colleges to inquire as to whether I will be qualified for in-state tuition fees, they can't or don't know the answer. Worst, they haven't heard about this visa classification. I also called the higher education, but the person I spoke to -- wasn't sure; instead he advised me to call the college. The make the story short, all I'm getting was, "submit your application first, then we will determine." Another person also asked me to call Dept of Homeland Security. The website only says that "TD can study but cannot accept employment."

Being a dependent/spouse of a taxpayer here in MA, will that qualify me too for in-state-tuition just like adventurist in Ohio? Please help!!!

Thanks. That's a double whammy! His paying fed & state taxes; as his spouse I can't accept employment (unless my profession is in the TN list or to be granted H-1);and the most brutal part is, I won't be eligible for in-state-tuition.

Under part III, sec. 3.2.a.3, it says that "a person who is a lawful immigrant or a permanent resident of US (OR is eligible to apply or has applied for such status) is considered a Mass resident..."

**Does this mean that once GC has been applied on behalf of my husband, that will make me and my husband residents of MA? And, what constitutes "eligibility" to apply for such status?

I'm desperate. Please help. Can't afford a lawyer to interpret these.

I'm quite sure that they will interpret this as having an approved GC, and just waiting for the card (that is the reference to I-151, which is a receipt not a card), not merely having begun the GC application process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Nelsona.

Looks like I'd rather apply for F1 as this will allow me to work while in school. Can my husband as TN visa holder claim tax credits for educational expenses too?