TD renewal

tedxing

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

My wife is a chinese citizen, she got a 6 years TD visa last year, but her I-94 is expiring at the end of Oct(I just renewal my TN two months ago at border). I'd like to know what's the better way to renewal her I-94: file an I-539 or go to the border.
file an I-539 might be easier for us since we live in Tenneessee and she doesn't have a visitor visa for canada, but if the I-539 is denied her TD visa will be invalid, right? in this case, she must got another visa from US Consulate or she could still go to US border to renewal her I-94?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

The "Visa" and the I-94 are 2 separate entities.

Since I haven't heard of a 6 year TD visa, I would question its validity.

However, so long as the Visa date is valid, she can get a TD I-94 at the border.

She can *always* get an I-94 by mail with I-539, regardless of her visa status, so long as you are in TN.

I wouldn't worry about TD I-539 denial.

Thank you for your reply, Nelsona.
I think It's because she got her TD visa in China. I know someone who got 5 years TD visa from India.

If we file I-539, do I need to include originial marriage certificate or just a normal copy?

How did they give your wife a TD visa in China? When my wife applied for her TD visa in Beijing in January this year, they gave her a B2 visa instead of TD and it's only valid for 1 year. When she arrived at US port of entry in San Francisco Airport the CBP officer told her that because she's not a Canadian permanent resident so she's not eligible for TD. She got her Canadian permanent resident status later this year and I just booked her a TD visa appointment at US consulate in Vancouver. Based on what you said, I assume your wife isn't a Canadian permanent resident either. I wonder why my wife wasn't issued a TD visa in Beijing when we first applied in January. It is extremly difficult to schedule visa appointment in Canada so I am wondering if it's possible for her to get a long term TD visa like your wife's in Canada so she doesn't have to reapply for the visa every year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nelsona, thank you.

JianKai, my wife got rejected in Beijing for the first time, she was told that TD visa is not issued in China. But later I found the Manual for US Foreign Affairs, It clearly says TD visa could be issued to non-Canadian sponsor with no fee. so my wife applied again in Beijing and showed the document to visa officer, and this time she got her TD visa.
JianKai, May I ask you some questions about how to sponsor my wife to Canada?

Thank you for your reply, Nelsona.
I think It's because she got her TD visa in China. I know someone who got 5 years TD visa from India.
QUOTE]

There is no such duration for a TD. They may have successfully renewed it for 5 times but it is a 1 year non-working status.

There is no such duration for a TD. They may have successfully renewed it for 5 times but it is a 1 year non-working status.

That's why her I-94 is expiring, but her visa is valid for 6 years, like you can have 10 years multiple entry visitor visa to US,

Do I need to attach a cover letter when I file I-539 for my wife?

Please help me check if I have all the documents ready:
Copy of my passport
Copy of my I-94
Copy of my wife's passport
Copy of my wife's I-94
Copy of our marriage certificate and translation
Copy of past two payCheck

and mail all about document with I-539 form and a check to Vermont Service Center.