• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Tazmania / Amex cards.

alemitmee

Registered Users (C)
I have just applied for an Amex card here in Ireland. I will be holding it only a few months before I go over. I wish I’d applied for it 6 months ago now, it seems that loads of people use the global transfer thing as a way to get their credit rating started. I will try and use the global transfer thing, it may work for me. And if it does not work then I can just cancel the card here, I will lose out on the fee for the year but its not a whole lot to lose out on either way I reckon its worth a shot. I have spent years building up my credit here and if I can use that to get a card here that might get them me an amex over there then its probably worth a go, what do you think? I have read reports of people only having them six months and successfully transferring them. I will have it about 3 months before I do the same. And I can always get a crappy secure card too. Are the cards that you had in EU charge or credit and also are the ones you got in the us charge or credit? thanks, -Al

alemitmee, I think it should work in either case its worth the try. For the US card they gave us a fee waiver for the first year :)

We have in both countries charge cards.

alemitmee, I think it should work in either case its worth the try. For the US card they gave us a fee waiver for the first year :)

We have in both countries charge cards.

I also called Diners club in the USA and they seem to have some kind of a system in place, however it does not sound as reliable as the amex system, but It does sound like they will contact diners club here to check my record and then issue the card in the USA. with those two cards I reckon I should be able to start building a decent credit report? Is the Amex card the only US issued card you have at the moment? you will have to let me know how your credit report is looking in a few months after you have been using it.

alemitmee, just wanna let you know everything worked very smooth with the transfer. First monthy statement arrived a couple of days and e-bill with our linked BoA account worked pretty well :)

Hope when we finally arrive it has had a good influcence on our credit score :)

Last edited by a moderator:
alemitmee, just wanna let you know everything worked very smooth with the transfer. First monthy statement arrived a couple of days and e-bill with our linked BoA account worked pretty well :)

Hope when we finally arrive it has had a good influcence on our credit score :)

Good to hear! I have mailed off my application, so fingers crossed I get approved and then I will give the transfer a shot over there. Still very hopeful about my diners card transfer too. You will have to let me know how your score is looking in a few months!

Alemitmee, (if your still around), how did you get on with transferring your amex card over?
Has credit score been an issue for you since you moved and have you any advice on what to do for someone planning to move over soon?
Is there any way a Mastercard history could be used to prove credit history - have a Bank of Ireland Mastercard for over 13 years and always paid it off every month. Surely there has to be some way that could stand to me to be able to get a credit card in the states.

Even though credit card companies like Mastercard and Visa are all over the world, your credit history does not travel with you (or your driving history or any other history built up over your entire life). The AMEX Global Transfer is a great way of getting a credit card, but you have to start from the beginning as far as credit history is concerned. For Example: I secured an American AMEX quite easily as I had an Australian AMEX since 2000, but I still had to put down a $400 USD deposit to get my internet account as I have no credit history. Apparently I get this deposit back after one year!

My credit history is showing that I hae the Amex since 16 years and was ever in good standing :) I also have no preset spending limit.

Oh, I should check my credit history! I have only had the new AMEX for about a month and I got my internet put on a couple of months ago. So I guess the AMEX is a good starting point for your credit history...that is cool, thanks!

Thanks for the replies.
So i should open an amex card. Which one? One of the international money ones (in dollars)? PLease advise which one. Looks complicated.
But then i was thinking, why do i need to have credit card in the states so fast. I presume i would only need a credit card for internet shopping for sites that would need a credit card that matches the delivery address or that needs a US address credit card. For everything else i could just hold onto the home credit card and use that until i can be accessed for one in the states. Is this right?

Another thing. Would my wife and I have to open two banks accounts or would a joint account have credit standing to us both?
Seems weird that you have to take out loans etc to building credit history. I have never had any loans (other than a mortgage) and have always paid for things and cars in cash and save up to buy anything i want. You would think that would stand more to you than having to take out loans all the time.
But i guess if thats the game then its best to play the game.

Was planning on buying a car with cash for about $8k but it seems it would be better to pay something like $5k and get a $3k loan and just pay it off quickly. We would be opening a bank account and putting in over $45k. Does it matter how much money you have in the account for credit history?

Thanks for the advice

I use the US credit card to buy groceries, petrol etc., and then pay it off at the end of every month...just to improve my credit rating. But if you make sure you pay your bills on time this will ensure you have good credit over time. If you don't really need to get a credit card you should just continue with your good spending habits and if you can afford to pay with cash, then do that!

My husband & I got a joint bank account and we had to give the bank our SSN's to open the account so I guess keeping your account in good order helps your credit rating also. I will have to check mine to see if this is the case :)