Tax transcripts

spiderman03

Registered Users (C)
Can anyone suggest if we need to order tax 'RETURN' transcript or tax 'ACCOUNT' transcript? Also, I was out of the country only twice in the last 5 years after getting GC. One was for 4 weeks duration and another one for 3 weeks only. Do I still need to order tax transcripts for the interview? Please advice. Thanks.

I am not sure if you need to bring your tax transcripts to the interview. But instead of requesting those to the IRS, why don't you bring copies of you tax returns? these transcripts contain the same info that was reported on your tax returns.

They don't accept our copies of tax returns in case they ask for it. They accept only official transcripts. Only question is, will they ask for it and if so, is it 'RETURN' transcript or 'ACCOUNT' transcript?

Can anyone suggest if we need to order tax 'RETURN' transcript or tax 'ACCOUNT' transcript? Also, I was out of the country only twice in the last 5 years after getting GC. One was for 4 weeks duration and another one for 3 weeks only. Do I still need to order tax transcripts for the interview? Please advice. Thanks.

Majority of people do not need it but for me it was a matter of making a phone call and asking them to fax it over and the entire process took under 10 minutes; so I just opted to do it (although it was not required in the end). You just need the summary one that is free (no need to pay to get a copy of the entire return).

I am not familiar with the terms "RETURN" or "ACCOUNT" w.r.t. transcripts but I just ordered the free summary version for each of the past 5 years over the phone and received it by fax.

Majority of people do not need it but for me it was a matter of making a phone call and asking them to fax it over and the entire process took under 10 minutes; so I just opted to do it (although it was not required in the end). You just need the summary one that is free (no need to pay to get a copy of the entire return).

I am not familiar with the terms "RETURN" or "ACCOUNT" w.r.t. transcripts but I just ordered the free summary version for each of the past 5 years over the phone and received it by fax.

Can you provide me the details like the number to call to get the fax? Thanks.

Can you provide me the details like the number to call to get the fax? Thanks.

I will try to find and post it later but I believe it is easily available and should also be on the transcript order form or the instructions (the regular phone number and choose the option and talk to a rep).

Here you go: http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=110571,00.html

Tax RETURN transcripts are what you need. Tax ACCOUNT transcripts are needed if you made any changes AFTER you filed your taxes. So you make the call. I used Tax RETURN transcripts for my N400 and my interview.

Thank you cheerus!

Spiderman: That link also has the phone number (1-800-829-1040) that one can call to order via fax. Make sure to have the fax available and connected.

Are you actually able to get 5 years of tax return transcripts? The form 4506-T says you can order return transcripts for the current year, and 3 prior processing years. I was a little confused by the form.

Thanks.

Are you actually able to get 5 years of tax return transcripts? The form 4506-T says you can order return transcripts for the current year, and 3 prior processing years. I was a little confused by the form.

Thanks.

I got the previous 5 years faxed to me by calling them.

I called them yesterday and after waiting for 20 minutes, the lady came on the phone. I requested tax transcripts and she was ready to fax me the RETURN transcripts for the past 5 years. Then she put me on hold and got back saying that her system can access RETURN transcripts for 4 years only but that she can get ACCOUNT transcripts for 5 years. She asked me which one I want and I took ACCOUNT transcripts for 5 years. Then she faxed it to me. I haven't seen the fax yet because I am out of town on vacation.

Great. Calling worked. Do we also need transcripts from the states? In my case that would be California.

Thanks again.

Thanks.

I ran into the same thing - I tried to order return transcripts for the past 5 years (both automated system and talking to a rep) and after being told they could do it they came back telling me they could only give me 05-08 as return transcripts and for earlier years, I could get account transcripts only. I am applying for USC based on marriage so I think I am good with having the detailed version for 4 years.
The account transcripts though do show that taxes were filed, filing status, etc. and if any money is owed/has been refunded so they may suffice but I am not sure as the USCIS instructions for what to bring to the interview don't match the IRS language 100%.

If you think that you might need them, I would try to get both (tax return transcipts and tax account transcripts). A tax return transcript shows info from most of the lines of form 1040 that you filed for a particular year and serves as a proof that you actually filed a tax return for that year. A tax account transcript shows the payments you made to IRS and refunds you received for a given year, as well as the amount still due, if any. A tax account transcript may be used to prove that you do not owe the federal government any taxes. A tax return transcript does not provide such a proof because in some cases taxpayers fill out 1040 incorrectly and turn out to owe more taxes than they have calculated while computing the return. If that happens, a tax account transcript will show an amount still due (underpaid taxes plus possible penalties and interest). If a tax account transcript shows the amount still due as 0, that proves that you do not owe anything further for that year.

I vaguely remember exactly one post in this forum where the IO was not satisfied with seeing just a tax return transcript and demanded to see a proof than no further taxes are due. In other cases tax return transcripts (if asked for at all) seem to have been sufficient. Still, if you want to be extra cautious, you may as well get both.