Tax Transcripts from IRS

emno

Registered Users (C)
I have filed my taxes thru HR block (mostly in person and once online). I hve all the copy of filled Tax documents.
Do I still need to get the Tax Transcripts from IRS?
if yes, for how many years?

also there are two forms 4506-T and 4506-T-EZ. which one to file? mostly i have filed the 1040 and not 1040EZ.

also when ordering the transcripts ( if they are needed) which one to select:

a Return Transcript
b Account Transcript
c Record of Account
7 Verification of Nonfiling

Thanks for the help.

The transcripts ordered from the IRS are free and I remember not being certain which transcript type to order so I ordered both (after all, they're free). I got both Return and Account transcripts for the last three years i.e., 2006, 2007 and 2008 (I haven't filed for 2009 yet). For the interview, I took all of these as well as the actual copies of my tax return forms but in the end, I was not even asked to show any of these. Of course, your IO may ask you for yours so it is good peace of mind to have everything you need with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just call IRS 1-800 number and tell them you need to tax transcripts for last 5 years. If asked why, tell USCIS-immigration purposes...they will mail the transcripts to you for free...however, it may take up to 2-3 weeks to get them via mail.

I have filed my taxes thru HR block (mostly in person and once online). I hve all the copy of filled Tax documents.
Do I still need to get the Tax Transcripts from IRS?
if yes, for how many years?

also there are two forms 4506-T and 4506-T-EZ. which one to file? mostly i have filed the 1040 and not 1040EZ.

also when ordering the transcripts ( if they are needed) which one to select:

a Return Transcript
b Account Transcript
c Record of Account
7 Verification of Nonfiling

Thanks for the help.

You want to order tax RETURN transcripts as far back as they will give them to you (normally 3-5 years). If you need to go back further, they can issue Tax ACCOUNT transcripts - same idea but less detail. Both show filing status, dates, tax amounts, account standing with the IRS. The RETURN transcript shows a lot of detail from the 1040 while the ACCOUNT transcript is more of a summary.

Call the 1-800 number and either navigate the automated phone system or get through to a real person to place your order. If you talk to a real person, they can immediately tell you what they have available (account versus return transcript). The IRS does not charge for this. From my experience it takes 10-14 days by mail but I believe you can also have them faxed to you.

In my case, IRS sent only for the past four years 2005-2008. They do not issue transcripts older than four years, yet USCIS requests for transcripts for five years. How are you guys dealing with the discrepancy?

CIS is unlikely to push you for something 5 years old - unless you have checked some box saying you did not pay taxes.

Just take the last four years IRS transcripts but also take actual copies of your last five years of tax returns along with these. Like sanjoseaug20 said, the USCIS are not going to give you hard time on this (unless you didn't file your returns or you still owe the IRS back taxes).

Tobias,

Can you please share your interview experience in details? I read somewhere that you had two 7-months trips and were approved after submitting additional documentation. Hope the post was not for someone else.

Tobias,

Can you please share your interview experience in details? I read somewhere that you had two 7-months trips and were approved after submitting additional documentation. Hope the post was not for someone else.

Mufuruki2-
Here is the link to my previous interview experience post. Both of my 7 month trips were more than 3 years prior to my application date (I applied based on marriage to USC) so I had to prove the validity of my marriage during the interview. Hope this helps.

http://forums.immigration.com/showt...line-and-N400-related-Q&p=2145602#post2145602

In my case, IRS sent only for the past four years 2005-2008. They do not issue transcripts older than four years, yet USCIS requests for transcripts for five years. How are you guys dealing with the discrepancy?

I was able to get tax RETURN transcripts for 2005-2008 and tax ACCOUNT transcripts for 2000-2004. I got those through talking to a real person. I ordered tax return transcripts for 2000-2008, the lady took my order, put me on hold, and came back after a few minutes telling me that 2000-2004 were not available. She said she would try for account transcripts and a few minutes later told me that the order was accepted.
When the mail from the IRS arrived, I got the 2005-2008 account transcripts, a letter for each year from 2000-2004 stating that account transcripts were not available, and then account transcripts for 2000-2004. I had 14 separate envelopes in the mail from IRS within 2 days - I am sure our mail man suspected I am having some serious issues with the IRS!

The reason I went back to 2000 is that that's the year I got my green card and then spent a good amount of time in the UK from 2004-2006.

During my interview, I did not have to show any tax information as the IO told me that tax filings are not good status evidence as nobody verifies your chosen filing status unless you get audited (for me it was a matter of proving my marriage to USC as I applied on three year rule).

I had 14 separate envelopes in the mail from IRS within 2 days - I am sure our mail man suspected I am having some serious issues with the IRS!

LOL, I also wondered what my postman was thinking when I got six envelopes from the IRS!

During my interview, I did not have to show any tax information as the IO told me that tax filings are not good status evidence as nobody verifies your chosen filing status unless you get audited (for me it was a matter of proving my marriage to USC as I applied on three year rule).

In my interview (also applied based on marriage to USC), the IO did not ask for a single document of proof for marriage or anything else for that matter. I suspect the IOs are pretty good at sizing up the candidates and decide in very early on in the interview whether or not to scrutinize everything closer or not.

I called IRS earlier, same thing she told me that they do not issue transcript older than four years. They will mail out transcript from 2006-2009. What should I do? :confused:

I called IRS earlier, same thing she told me that they do not issue transcript older than four years. They will mail out transcript from 2006-2009. What should I do? :confused:

Don't stress it. Take whatever you get from them and go with that. It should not be an issue. At the interview, some times the IO doesn't even ask for these transcripts.

If you are worried about needing to go back further ask for tax account transcripts (or order them through the automated system). The tax return transcripts are the ones they only issue for the last 3-4 years for free (unless they changed the rules from six months ago tax account transcripts are available for more than 3 years)