Tax transcript form 4506-T

soccer101

Registered Users (C)
I called up IRS and they wanted me to file form 4506-T for getting tax transcript for year 2000.

I had a question in this form.

What is the following question on the form?

6. Product Requested. Enter the return number here and check the boxes below:

What is a "Return Number" ?

Thanks a lot?

soccer101 said:
I called up IRS and they wanted me to file form 4506-T for getting tax transcript for year 2000.

I had a question in this form.

What is the following question on the form?

6. Product Requested. Enter the return number here and check the boxes below:

What is a "Return Number" ?

Thanks a lot?

how many copies of the return (years) would you want to get

ocworker said:
how many copies of the return (years) would you want to get

ocworker, Thanks a lot.

So in my case is the answer 1, since I only need 1 copy for the year 2000?
IRS did mail me the copies for the remaining years.

on #6, i believe you're expected to put down the form number that you used to file your taxes. for example, "1040", "1040NR", "1040EZ", et cetera. for most people, the answer would be "1040".

then on #7, you specify for which years you want the return. if you want a transcript of your 2004 return, enter "12/31/2004".

i've used that to request my 2004 return successfully.

hope that helps,

sarmad :)

sarmad said:
on #6, i believe you're expected to put down the form number that you used to file your taxes. for example, "1040", "1040NR", "1040EZ", et cetera. for most people, the answer would be "1040".

then on #7, you specify for which years you want the return. if you want a transcript of your 2004 return, enter "12/31/2004".

i've used that to request my 2004 return successfully.

hope that helps,

i got another question. for example, i want to request my tax transcripts for the year of 2000, which I lived in GA, and now I live in CA. I know I should put the current address (CA) on #3. Should I put the GA address on #4?

Which address should I send the form to? the one for CA or the one for GA?

thanks.

Also, have you tried to request a tax transcript on your state tax? if so, did you have to go thru your local state website?
if you have any info on state tax transcript, that would be excellent.

thanks in advance :)

ocworker, on #4, you should put the address that you put on your 2004 return (or whatever your last return was), even if you are not requesting a transcript for that year. IRS uses the address on #4 to locate/validate your record, that's all.

as for where to send it, here's the relevant excerpt from the instructions: "Mail or fax Form 4506-T to the address below for the state you lived in when that return was filed."

so, if you're requesting a transcript for your 2000 return, determine which state you were living in then, and send the request to that address.

now, if you are requesting transcripts for multiple years and you lived in multiple states, say, 2004 (CA), 2003(CA), 2002(GA), 2001(GA), 2000 (GA) et cetera, i guess the safest thing to do is to send different transcript requests - one to the CA address/fax for the 2004 & 2003 returns, and one to the GA addresss/fax for the 2002, 2001, and 2000 returns.

i've always requested transcripts a month or so after i've filed taxes, so never dealt with this issue firsthand. but i'm sure the above shud work.

as for the state transcripts, never requested those. i just keep a copy of my CA returns. i don't think they ask for state return transcripts at the citizenship interview. i'm 2.5 years away from filing my N-400, so i may not be up-to-date on this though. :)

good luck!