tax time

TSCgauss

Registered Users (C)
Folks,

Is there any fee (to INS/BCIS or attorney, etc.) that is tax-deductible?
That time of the year...
Thanks for any answer...

TSCGauss

No.. No such expenses are tax deductible!

If they are purely business expenses, then you may be able to deduct them. For that also you need to have business income (1099 -MISC income) or self-employment income. In my opinion, if you are working on W-2, there is no place to deduct these expenses on 1040.

You might be able to do that

If your 485 is employment-related, that means this expense is needed for doing your job (doesn't have to be your own business). If that expense is not reimbursed by your employer, then you can deduct it if you itemize.

I was going to do that but found out it didn't make sense for me to itemize due to the fact my standard deduction is actually higher than my itemized total. I took the standard deduction instead.

Confused

Now I'm confused. Assume that I-485 is employment based and
the company does not reimburse any expense.
vmchandra says that one cannot deduct while tombaan
claims that one can deduct...

I agree with the argument that says that, indeed, to do the job you need to have a certain status...(485, EAD, etc.), but... will the IRS agree?

TSCGauss

Well, it doesn't hurt to try in any case. The worse case IRS will ask you to revise it. There is no punishment for it.

Re: You might be able to do that

Originally posted by JamesH
If your 485 is employment-related, that means this expense is needed for doing your job (doesn't have to be your own business). If that expense is not reimbursed by your employer, then you can deduct it if you itemize.

I was going to do that but found out it didn't make sense for me to itemize due to the fact my standard deduction is actually higher than my itemized total. I took the standard deduction instead.

You are right. But it will go 2106. It is un-reimbursed expense like you travel on Job and company does not reimburse you.

"Well, it doesn't hurt to try in any case. The worse case IRS will ask you to revise it. There is no punishment for it. "

Though there no punishment, it is always better not rise red-flags on our records with IRS!. If we are very much sure, then it worth playing with these agencies.